Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twolips_gw

What to do?

twolips
10 years ago

I'm wanting to can some more of my tomatoes, however I don't have enough at one picking right now to do so. I have some that are just about ripe, sitting on the counter and many more that I have picked that are going to need a couple of days. If I put the ripe ones in the fridge, while waiting on the others, are they going to lose flavor. Should I blanch and peel them, then put in the fridge?

I have to pick my toms just as they blush, cuz if I don't get to them first, I have many others that do!

Thank you all for the help I have gotten here this summer, and have learned a few things too. Been putting up maters since mid July!

Comments (12)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Many of us just freeze them whole in ziplock bags until you have enough to do a whole batch. Many discussions here about the advantages of that approach. When thawed the skins slip right off and flavor is retained better than in the fridge.

I like to core mine before freezing as it is easier to do then when thawed. But that is all that is needed.

Dave

• twolips
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Seriously, just core them put them in zip lock and toss them in the freezer? If the skins come off when thawed, then I don't need to blanch them?

What's the max time they can be left in the freezer?

I tried to find an answer and it was just taking too much time, hence the post.

Off topic, but why do us higher elevations have to process longer???

Again............thank you so much! I've been putting lemon juice in my maters too, thanks to you guys. I did not know that, as I had never done it that way before. But I am NOW!

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Because the air pressure is less at a higher elevation the water boils at a lower temperature. In other words, the water is boiling but it isn't actually as hot. Hence, the longer processing time.

And no, you don't need to blanch. There's no reason. Frozen tomatoes are very good for sauce as much of the liquid separates during thawing so that's a time-saver also.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

Yes, it is that simple to freeze them. You can leave them frozen for a couple years if wrapped properly.
    Water boils at a lower temp. at higher altitudes. That is why you process longer.
    If you are processing them in the boiling water bath, you are doing them for 90 min. (qts.) plus the extra time for your elevation, aren't you ? That is for plain tomatoes, no water or juice added to the jars. Unless you are crushing and heating them, using the crushed tomato method from Univ. of Georgia. Then, that is not as long of a processing time.
    Also, you are using bottled lemon juice, correct ? Not fresh lemons. They are not acidic enough.

• twolips
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Again, you guys are awesome! Thank you Dave, Carol and Linda.
    I do want to can them. I bring them to a boil for 5-10 minutes before putting them into my hot sterile jars, along with "bottled" lemon juice (which I learned here) and a little bit of kosher salt and I do process longer. Not the 90 minutes tho. Maybe 30-45 on pints, 45-60 on quarts. Should I go longer? I am at about 6000'

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

If you put the tomatoes in the refrigerator, you will lose some of the taste. Anything lower than 50 degrees will change to taste.

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Check the NCHFP for recommended processing time for your tomatoes at elevation. The link is below.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Canning Tomatoes

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Not the 90 minutes tho. Maybe 30-45 on pints, 45-60 on quarts. Should I go longer? I am at about 6000'

The time used all depends on which of the 4 methods you use to can them. NCHFP gives all the proper processing times for your altitude. But you are not processing them long enough for any of the methods.

Whole/Half Packed in tomato juice is 100 min.
    Crushed with no added liquid is 50 for pints, 60 for quarts.
    Whole/half packed raw is 100 min.
    Whole/half packed in water is 55-60 depending on jar size.

The proper processing times are also available in the Ball Blue Book.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning tomatoes

• twolips
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No tomato juice or other added liquids, but not really crushed either. Depending on the size of the tomato, I may quarter them, or even more. Here is a pot full from last year, and they break down more when I boil them.

I think I have been to that site, perhaps I will print it or at least book mark it and look for the ball canning book.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

You are basically doing 'crushed' if you stick with that method. Processing time is 50 for pints, 60 for quarts at your altitude.

NCHFP is the recognized authority for all canning questions and instructions so definitely worth bookmarking. Or you can order their book if you prefer - "So Easy to Preserve".

And be sure to check out the canning resources offered by your local state/county extension office too on their online site.

Dave

• NilaJones
    10 years ago

One nice thing about freezing is you can add more tomatoes to the bag, as more ripen. Just run some hot water on the zipper seal first -- operating it when it is freezer temperature sometimes makes it unable to seal again.

• twolips
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is so great to know Nila, thank you! And a huge thanks to everyone else.

Now to go and harvest a bunch of my basil to freeze. I am going to be gone for several weeks in the next 8 weeks and have told just a couple of friends to come over and help themselves, provided they want to drive out here!

Dave, I sent you an email, might be stuck in a spam box.

MUCHO THANKS TO THE GW MEMBERS