Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_vetter

pizza sauce and enchilada sauce

Kerry Vetter
11 years ago

looking for good, safe recipes for water bath canning pizza and enchilada sauce. thanks!

Comments (8)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Do you mean besides the ones at NCHFP and in the Ball books?

You'll be limited somewhat in the recipes you can use for BWB processing since many of the recipes include low-acid vegetables in addition to the tomatoes.

Basic pizza sauce is usually just plain tomato sauce with some dried Italian seasonings added so if you stick with that and add the required bottled lemon juice or citric acid there is no problem. Get much beyond that by adding onions and peppers and you start over the line into pressure canning. And of course no oils.

Honestly the easiest thing to do is just can plain standard tomato sauce and then you can turn it into either (or many other things) at serving time by just adding the various seasonings.

Dave

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Forgot to add the link to this discussion on enchilada sauce.

Here is a link that might be useful: enchilada sauce discussion

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the link- making Carol's enchilada sauce next. just made ketchup with my 5 year old and that one is next on the list for today:)

as for the pizza sauce, I have seen many online and in the past I used Mrs. Wages pizza sauce packet and cant seem to find it this year which is a bummer.

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

On Carol's enchilada sauce, could I add the spices/seasoning to the pot of tomatoes vs in each pint?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

First you mix up the Spice Blend in a separate container. It is a separate recipe that stands on its own. Then you add 2 1/2 tsp. of that Spice Blend to each pint jar, not to the pot of tomatoes. You will have left over Spice Blend depending on how accurately you measure and whether you use the season salt or not.

Dave

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

they are processing now, I added the spices to the pot of tomatoes, let it boil and then simmer for awhile. Then added 1T of lemon juice to each pint just before adding the hot enchilada sauce. is that ok?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Wellll it's no safety issue but it may be a taste issue. Did you taste it before jarring it? It will intensify even more on the shelf.

Dave

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did and actually had some tonight on our veggie quesadillas, really tasty:)