Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Plums

Posted by KSprairie 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 11:00

Does anyone have any favorite recipes using wild plums (Prunus americana)? We have been blessed with a great crop in Kansas this year!
I will make some into jelly, syrup, and probably can some whole, but I am looking for some other ideas.
BBB's Plum Sauce and Plum Chutney look interesting.
I have read of people using wild plums rather than tomatoes in BBQ or Ketchup recipes, but these were not tested recipes. If I start with a tested tomato based recipe, does it sound reasonable to to sub out some tomatoes and replace with the more acidic wild plums? Thank you for your thoughts and ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Plums

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 12:26

Any of the chutney recipes can use them, fruit leathers, cobbler, fried pies, sub them for apples in Apple Brown Betty, and you can always can them plain in sugar syrup for later use.

The Plum Ketchup recipe I have is not for canning (refrigeration only).

Wild Plum Ketchup

2 cups cooked and strained plum puree
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup honey (or brown sugar)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
Good dash of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper to taste

Directions

Mix all the ingredients and bring to a low simmer. Let the mixture cook until it thickens considerably. Taste while the batch is cooking and adjust vinegar, sweetener and spices to taste. Let the mixture cook over low heat until it reaches a thick, jam-like consistency. Keep refrigerated.

If I start with a tested tomato based recipe, does it sound reasonable to to sub out some tomatoes and replace with the more acidic wild plums?

Yes as long as the total volume is the same.

Dave

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 12:29

I fondly remember the wild plum jelly..but that's an easy answer.

o

Thank you for the recipe Dave. It sounds good, I think I will try it. I do want to can most of the plums for preservation, so I will look at some approved tomato ketchup recipes and pick one that looks good!

o

In Fancy Pantry, Helen Witty uses wild (or beach) plum jam to make a wild game sauce - has shallots, the plum jam, orange and lemon juice, spices and red port wine. She gives canning instructions.

I can post that later if you're interested.

Canadian Living uses plums and pears in a tomato-based chili sauce, which can be canned (recipe linked below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Chili Fruit Sauce

o

malna, thank you for the link. I may save that one and pull it out when the pears are ready. The plums still look good so I think i will pick some more and freeze them until I get more tomatoes and pears! thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here