Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannond_gw

I Need a Chunk Pickle Recipe

cannond
10 years ago

Does anyone know of a chunky bread and butter-ish type pickle recipe, preferably with onions. I like chunks instead of slices, and I like them hot/spicy.

What about a mustard pickle recipe with small whole cucumbers?

Thanks. Deborah

Comments (15)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

IMO you can use any of the tested and approved B&B pickle recipes with chunks rather than slices as long as you aren't talking about really big chunks. 1"x1" would probably be ok as the primary safety comes from the high pH of the brine but I wouldn't go much larger than that.

However they will need a little longer processing time for heat penetration so I'd start with sterilized jars on this one just to insure a bit more margin of safety. And they will need a longer mellowing shelf life before opening for the flavor of the brine to penetrate the chunks.

Part of the character of B&B pickles is their thin slices and softer texture so these won't be the same. Just so you know.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - B&B Pickles

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Dave. The recipe I'm considering, from the Joy of Pickling, is 41/2 cups vinegar, 3 cups sugar, no water. It calls for slices, but as I said, I prefer chunks. I'm also hoping I can add pickle crisp. I'm wondering how much I can use to make them crunchy without being bitter.

My grandmother's B & B's were always crisp, but I expect she used lime, which is a little onerous, though I can do it if it comes to that. Any recommendations out there?
    Deborah

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I'm wondering how much I can use to make them crunchy without being bitter.

I would just use the label directions for amounts. More isn't necessarily better, just bitter.

rounded 1/4 tsp. per quart
    rounded 1/8 tsp per pint

Dave

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, this is confusing me:
    rounded 1/4 tsp. per quart
    rounded 1/8 tsp per pint
    That is what it says on the Pickle Crisp jar, but Ball Complete says to add 3/4 tsp to pint and 1 1/2 tsp to quart. Which is correct?
    Deborah

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Ball Complete was published in 2006 when Pickle Crisp was a totally different formulation than it is now - it was a fine powder, now it is coarse granular - even a different manufactuer. If you still have some of that original powdered product then those measurements would likely be fine.

But if you are using a newer jar of PC then I'd think the current label directions would outweigh the instructions in in a several year's old book recipe, right?

Dave

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"But if you are using a newer jar of PC then I'd think the current label directions would outweigh the instructions in in a several year's old book recipe, right?"

I am using a newer jar. Those granules must be hyper-strength to make the difference between 1/4 tsp and 3/4 tsps.

Is Ball Complete considered outdated?

Deborah

• readinglady
    10 years ago

Ball Complete isn't outdated. There was a period of time during which Ball discontinued the sale of pickle crisp and those of us who had used it switched to food-grade calcium chloride (which is what pickle crisp is). The Food-grade calcium chloride (i.e. generic) is more crystalline and required greater amounts, just like Diamond Crystal kosher requires a greater volume to equal the weight of a given amount of canning and pickling salt.

I don't know the current formulation as I only use the generic, but there are lots of threads regarding pickle crisp and calcium chloride which discuss varying amounts for different formulations. I would recommend using whatever amount the package states or less. In several instances I've found I prefer a lighter touch with the stuff.

Also, you may want to look on the NCHFP site for their lime pickles. Yes, it's more troublesome but again, you may prefer the results. It is still approved for pickling, as long as you take the appropriate precautions.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Quick Sweet Pickles with Lime

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Your grandmother may have used Alum in her pickles. My aunt did and it did make a difference. I've not used it, but she swore by it.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Is Ball Complete considered outdated?

Not at all and i didn't say that it was. But things change.

So my point was when one compares 2006 instructions with 2013 instructions it's usually pretty clear which set of instructions one should use.

Dave

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

" when one compares 2006 instructions with 2013 instructions it's usually pretty clear which set of instructions one should use"

It would be if the instructions were from the same source; they weren't, so I found them confusing, especially since the new granules are considerably larger. As Carol pointed out, using large grain requires greater volume. If that is not the case with Pickle Crisp it must be a higher concentration, I think.

I will try to make two batches, one limed and the other with Pickle Crisp. It's the only way.

I don't think my grandmother used alum. I seem to recall she thought it was bitter. I could be wrong though. I wish she'd left me her recipes.

Deborah

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I have one pickle recipe for which I use alum. Alum can be bitter if not sufficiently rinsed (I'm as careful with that as with lime for that reason) and in too great a quantity can also cause digestive upsets.

Alum only works with a fermented pickle like the old 14-day pickles which are then suffused with successively stronger vinegar/sugar/spice solutions.

There's more than one road to an excellent pickle.

Carol

• bb
    10 years ago

Have you thought about Linda Lou's Famous Chunk Pickle recipe?

I want to give this a try myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linda Lou's Sweet Pickle Chunks Redux

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

This year, when we made our Mrs Wages Bread and Butter pickles we cut the slices alittle thicker than called for and it worked out fine.

• cannond
    Original Author
    10 years ago

"Have you thought about Linda Lou's Famous Chunk Pickle recipe?"

I just looked at that recipe and it looks good, though sweeter than I usually like. If I can use half vinegar and half sugar would that work?

If you read this Linda Lou, will you let me know, please?

Do you know, I've never made one of those 14 day pickles, nor tasted one. I'm really curious.

Deborah

• readinglady
    10 years ago

All those old 14-day recipes are basically candied cucumbers. Great in very small quantities. I think the sugar and successive cookings are crucial to texture.

A less sugary pickle would be the bread and butter.

Carol