Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueridgemtngrl

Mango butter

blueridgemtngrl
14 years ago

I just purchased some mangoes and would like to make some mango butter. Can I use a peach butter recipe and substitute with mangoes? The recipes I've found contain ginger and lime, and I don't care for ginger.

Jeanne

Comments (15)

• holly-2006
    14 years ago

I found this

Here is a link that might be useful: Mango and other butters

• holly-2006
    14 years ago

You will have to check with the more knowledgeable posters here in regard to safety issues.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

The problem with ripe mangoes is their pH is higher than peaches so in canning terms they're not an equivalent.

Acid would have to be added and without searching, I don't know if there's a cannable (tested with appropriate level of acidity) mango butter out there or not. You could certainly freeze it.

Carol

• blueridgemtngrl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. Holly, I actually found the mango butter recipe in your link and it sounds good, but the end of the recipes says to "Steep the jars in 250-degree water baths for 10 minutes to seal the jars."

So for those experienced canners, will water bathing at boiling for 10 minutes be safe?

Thanks again! I just love mangoes and fruit butters, so I really would love to make some with the mangoes.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

OK, I will try again.

I don't know who "Mama" is or what (if any) her agenda is. I don't know who created the mango butter recipe or their qualifications. No source is indicated.

The steeping instructions are odd - not standard boiling water bath language.

Maybe the recipe is OK for canning, maybe it's not. There's just no way to tell. There are a whole lot of untested recipes out there with varying degrees of risk.

If it were a peach butter or a cranberry butter, it wouldn't much matter. But mangoes are like figs and pumpkins. Any preserves made with them require special care.

I'd be inclined to email "Mama" and see if I could get some information regarding the source and food safety qualifications before I took the gamble.

Carol

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

* 6 1/2 cups of ripe mango, peeled, pitted and chopped
    * 3/4 cup of orange juice
    * 3 tbsp of lemon juice
    * 1/2 cup of water
    * 2 1/2 cups of sugar

I don't think that's enough added acid for 6 1/2 cups of mangoes and then they cut the acid further by adding the water.

Not that comparisons are valid but just as an example, the approved fig recipe (another low acid fruit) requires 1/2 c lemon juice for only 4 cups of fruit and no added water.

I'd agree with Carol, make it for the freezer, not for canning.

Dave

• holly-2006
    14 years ago

This question has been bugging me all night...

Dave/Carol,

does the 3/4 cup of orange juice not count as an acid?

I'm wondering because I know what that stuff does to my stomach.

• melva02
    14 years ago

It is acid, but it's less acidic than lemon juice. Have you checked the Ball Complete Book and Small-Batch Preserving? I would want an officially approved recipe if I were going to can mangoes. Their texture is different from peaches too, not just the acidity.

Melissa

• holly-2006
    14 years ago

Thank you melva02. I've got a copies of the Ball books on order (online) as they're not available here in Canada.

I thought I'd get them to know what everyone here is talking about.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

It isn't that it doesn't count as an acid. It's that mangoes are lower acid and we have no way of determining if the acid from the orange juice (or whatever depending upon the recipe) is sufficient.

Of course you can process whatever you like. We're just telling you there's no indication it's risk-free.

Carol

• shirleywny5
    14 years ago

How can you steep the jars in a 250 degree water bath? Water boils at 212.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Good question Shirley! There's got to be some sort of secret code or typo in there.

Dave

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I just wanted to mention the Canadian equivalent of the Ball Blue Book and Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving are available in Canada under the Bernardin name. Same company.

So in Canada the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving is the Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving. In fact, ironically, it's a Canadian publication. If you have a Canadian Tire store in your area they should carry those books with their other canning supplies (if they haven't run out of stock).

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

That would not be safe. Neither would her pumpkin butter, for sure. My opinion, skip her recipes as she seems to have no food preservation safety training to me. If she did, she would know better. You cannot trust things in all books or online to provide you with safe information.
    Glad you are getting the BAll books.
    You would need to freeze the mango butter and pumpkin butter.
    Orange juice would not be nearly acidic enough to preserve that.
    I agree, you cannot get boiling water over 212 degrees. It would take pressure canning to get to 250 degrees. Using 10 lb. pressure will take it to 240 degrees. Still, even then, there are no safe recipes for the mango butter or pumpkin butter, not even in a pressure canner.
    I think we should all see if we can email this Mama and nicely tell her the recipes are unsafe.

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Ok, I sent an email with my official title, and also the link to the USDA info on canning pumpkin butter. She also has that just below the mango butter. We shall see if she replies to me.
    Perhaps if enough of you email she will change things.