Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gherkins

Posted by mumbles_pickles quebec (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 11:11

Hi, I have a 2 " National Pickling " plants. I have been picking a couple of cukes here and there, but i don't want to pickle one jar of gherkins day .Is there something I can do to preserve them until i have enough to make a good batch. I also was wondering, my husband likes sour gherkins and I like sweet ones. Any good recipes would help me out tons!
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gherkins

Hi. I have six plants for pickling cukes and am getting enough for one pint per week. Annoying,yes. So I am adding the hot brine into a hot jar after cold packing the pickles, letting it cool, and putting it in the fridge. IT works but you need to eat them within three months. It just isn't worth firing up the canner for one jar. I am using a dill pickle mix that contains among other things, calcium chloride, aka "Pickle Crisp" If I pick a few but not quite enough for a jar, I wash them and remove the prickles and then store them in a ziplock with a few water droplets still on the cucumbers. Just before canning you very thinly slice off the blossom end as this contains an enzyme that softens the pickle. This year was just a test, next year I am planting three times as many. Enough of this piddling around. As for recipes, other members ought to be able to help you out there.

o

Agree with Trichcuit that next year you should plant more. I put in 40 plants. Thought my DH was going to giggle all season from his perceived "silliness" of me planting so many. But, as you found out (as he did), that there are never quite enough to make a batch of little ones for gherkins all at one time - a for sure "gotcha". The ones that got away became "real" sized cukes and were put in brine for his fav fermented dill pickles. He's eaten them all and perhaps will never, ever giggle again in my garden.

Nancy

o

Your question is a frequent one here and as the others have already said the answer is always "you need many more plants". Sorry. They just don't store well.

As to recipes, I linked some below and there is an Alton Brown Half-Sours recipe here too that you might like along with many other 'pickle recipes' that the search will pull up.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickle Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here