Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pre-cooked apple pie filling storage question

Posted by peachymomo Ca 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 8, 12 at 11:17

I recently harvested all the apples from my Pink Pearl tree and cooked up a large batch of apple pie filling that is now in the refrigerator waiting to be spooned into crusts and baked. I'm wondering how much time I have to get all the pies made, or how long the filling can safely sit in the fridge before being made into pies.

I was planning on getting them all done in a couple of days, but a friend who wants a pie is away and won't be able to get hers until next week. Will it be okay to let it wait for a week before I bake it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pre-cooked apple pie filling storage question

That long will allow for molds and such to begin to grow. Why not just fill the pies and freeze them now then give her the frozen pies for baking when she returns?

If you don't want to fill the pies now then just freezing the pie filling.

Dave

o
RE: Pre-cooked apple pie filling storage question

Unbaked pies freeze beautifully. They take longer to bake but the crust is actually better. I prefer all fruit pies to be baked from a frozen state. Having an extra pie or two in the freezer is like money in the bank.

Freeze unwrapped until solid then wrap securely and label. (I wrap with foil- which can always be reused - then place in a large plastic bag.)

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here