Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerry_vetter

tomato soup recipe safe for water bath canning?

Kerry Vetter
11 years ago

tomato soup:

6 onions

1 bunch celery

8 quarts fresh tomatoes

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup salt

1 cup butter

1 cup flour

1/4 cup lemon juice

process 30 minutes in water bath canner

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

No way, not with all that butter (with a couple of tested exceptions no fats/oils allowed) and definitely not with the flour, thickeners aren't allowed either.

What is the source of that recipe?

There are only a couple of tomato soup recipes approved because of the fats and dairy products and thickeners so many recipes include. One is Katie C's Roasted Tomato and Garlic soup and the recipe for it is in many threads here. Otherwise it is canning tomato sauce and turning it into soup after opening the jar.

There is also the one in Ellie Topp's Small Batch Preserving pg. 316.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato soup discussions

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

That is not safe even in a pressure canner. I don't know what person ever started that horrid recipe floating around.
    Botulism waiting to happen !

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Kerry I noticed that in one of your previous posts of this question - tomato soup - that I have already said "Keep in mind that you cannot add any milk, cream, butter, or thickeners until AFTER opening." So this recipe you just posted should have set off alarm bells for you when you saw it, right?

Did you ever buy the pressure canner you asked about? As Linda Lou said this recipe wouldn't be safe even for pressure canning but some of the other tomato recipes you have asked about would require pressure canning so I just wondered if you had gotten one yet?

Dave

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

it did set off alarms- a friend got this recipe from another friend and she has canned it many times, she has been canning for years so I questioned her but also thought I would double check and see if I was missing something or maybe if one of the above ingredients offset something of possible danger. I have no idea how she has been making this for years and never gotten sick!

Thank you for the input. I am holding out on that pressure canner you recommended for my birthday:) this year I am sticking to water bath canning and will have the winter to learn and read about the pressure canner:)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I have no idea how she has been making this for years and never gotten sick!

Lots and lots of luck. There are many who will 'can' all sorts of things without giving it a second thought. It's either because they just don't know any better or because (as far as they know) no one has died from it...yet. So they are willing to roll the dice and gamble. Either way lots of luck plays a role in saving them and one day their luck will run out.

Dave

• Kerry Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dave- that is why I come on here to double check a lot of stuff! This is recipe is safe to freeze though, correct?

• readinglady
    11 years ago

She probably got lucky, especially if she's in the habit of boiling this soup for a while. Then the risk is contamination of surfaces from splattering but not necessarily ingestion.

Yes, freezing is fine, though there's a likelihood the soup will break due to the butter-and-flour thickening.

Carol

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company