Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluejean_gw

peach pepper jam

bluejean
17 years ago

I keep seeing mentions of a Peach Pepper Jam, but after searching- I couldn't find the receipe. Anyone have it to share? I found the "No Sugar" receipe that uses splenda, but we can't use splenda (hubby's health :) I want a sugar based receipe. I know i will end up adjusting the sugar amt.- but that is proving to be easy. I have made/canned 10 batches of low sugar jam so far this year. I only started last month! Everyone is loving them! They like the low sugar becuase you can taste the fruit.

Thank you in advance for the peach pepper jam receipe!

bluejean in ohio

Comments (5)

• readinglady
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm just pasting these in super-quick with original comments from other posters and myself.

Doris (RuddMd) on the CF made this recipe today and canned it. It sounds really good, the fact that there is no vinegar made me pause a minute, but with only two small peppers in it.....

Peach Preserves for Cold Mornings (Doris, Ruddmd)

3 pounds ripe peaches, peeled and quartered
    l/2 medium-size orange, quartered and seeded
    2 Red Savina habaneros, (seeds and all)
    4 cups sugar
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    3/4 Cup honey (the lightest, mildest you can find)

Combine peaches, sugar, and honey in a Dutch oven; stir well. Cover and let stand 45 minutes. Place knife blade attachment in food processor bowl; add orange quarters and habanero chiles. Process until finely chopped, stopping once to scrape down sides.

Place orange, habanero chiles, and an equal amount of water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until orange rind is tender.

Bring peach mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high, and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes, stirring often. Add orange mixture. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until candy thermometer registers 221, stirring often. Remove from heat; stir in almond extract. Skim off foam with a metal spoon.

Quickly pour hot mixture into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw on bands. Process jars in boiling-water bath 10 minutes. Yield: 6 half-pints.

It sounds really good, doesn't it? That's what I thought too....

I made the Peach and Pepper Jam today.
    I did a couple of things. I peeled the orange with a potato peeler and chopped that, then I cut the orange away from the white pith. For peppers I used 2 Hot Cherry Bombs and 1 hot cayenne. After cooking the jam I removed the peppers but left the orange peel in. The rest of the orange broke up and mixed in with the peaches very well. From what I tasted I think it turned out really really good. I'll let it sit a couple of weeks then test. Mind looks like a marmalade. Balance of flavors seems nice.
    Nancy on R Ex (wizardm)

This is from "The Jamlady Cookbook" you asked about. It does have additional acid, so that would make it even safer. Might add another layer of flavor, too, since plain peach is kind of bland.

Jamlady's Original Hot Mango Jam with a Hot Picante Peach Jam variation.

5 cups sugar
    2 3/4 cups peeled, chopped mangoes
    1 cup seeded or unseeded chopped jalapeno peppers
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    1 1 3/4-ounce box regular powdered pectin
    2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice or lime juice or 1/3 teaspoon citric acid
    1/2 teaspoon butter (optional)

Blenderize the peppers and vinegar. Mix the lemon juice, butter, chopped mangoes, pepper mixture and pectin in a pan and boil for 1 minute. Add the sugar; boil for 1 minute more. Check the set. BWB 10 minutes.

Hot Picante Peach Jam - Use peaches instead of mangoes and ripe, red jalapeno peppers. The resulting jam will be orange-colored.

Carol

• annie1992
    17 years ago

I've also made Doris' Peach Preserves for Cold Mornings, they're wonderful, with an overtone of orange and just a tiny bite of heat. It's perfect on a toasted bagel with some cream cheese or on an orange muffin.

Annie

• malonanddonna
    17 years ago

bluejean - I made a double or triple batch of peach pepper jam several weeks ago and have the receipe saved on my home computer. I can post it tonight for you. I used Pamona's pectin with a reduced amount of real sugar instead of Splenda.

• malonanddonna
    17 years ago

Sugar Free Peach Pepper Jam

4 cups fresh peaches, peeled and chopped
    2/3 cup vinegar
    4 cups sugar
    2/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
    1/4 cup chopped jalepeno pepper
    3 teaspoons Pomona Pectin (dissolved in the boiling vinegar)
    4 teaspoons calcium water

Makes 5 cups - when you get the Pomona's Pectin, the directions will tell you in which order to add ingredients
    BWB 15 min

• aberwacky_ar7b
    17 years ago

Here's another recipe that's a must-make at my house. Great with cheese, or melted into baked or sauteed chicken pan drippings for a sauce.

I especially love that the peaches aren't peeled--it's super simple to make. I make it without the chipotles as my standard peach jam (cutting down on the sugar).

Chiffs Peach Chipotle Jam

i Makes six 8-ounce jars

* 4 Cups chopped ripe Peaches (unpeeled)
    * 2 Tbsp. Lemon or Lime Juice
    * 5 Cups Sugar
    * 1 Tbsp. chopped Chipotle in Adobe Sauce
    * 1 Pouch Dry Pectin (1.75 oz.)
    * 1 tsp. Fruit Fresh (optional)

Mix together the peaches, chipotle, and lemon juice. Process in food processor until the peaches are extremely small but not pureed; they should resemble flecks.

Place peach mixture in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Over medium/high heat, bring to a boil and add pectin - stirring constantly. Add sugar, combine well and return to a full rolling boil. Boil one minute. Remove from heat and skim foam if necesary.

i To Can...

Wash six 8 Oz. canning jars (or 12 4 oz. canning jars) and sterilize in boiling water bath as dictated by your altitude.
    Wash lids in hot soapy water and place in a small saucepan or frying pan of water. Keep over very low heat to make the sealing bands pliable. After sterilizing the jars, fill them leaving 1/2" headspace. Lid the jars and screw on bands. Place in boiling water canner and process as dictated by your altitude.

Leigh's notes: I made a low-sugar version of this as well as a no-sugar version, using Pomona's Universal Pectin. Both turned out well. I don't use the Fruit Fresh.