Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Need info about pressure canning

missemerald
11 years ago

I just found my mom's old pressure canner (Mirro Matic M-0622, 22 qt) and it seems to have everything but needs to have the gasket replaced. However, I've never pressure canned before and although this is in good shape (at least it looks like it to me), I'd like to have it tested first. I don't think that we have any place that does this sort of thing in my county, but nearby counties might (Loudoun Co, VA maybe?), but I'm not sure where to start. Any ideas?

Also, I looked online at the Mirro website; I don't have instructions for the canner and I thought I could order some-- but the only ones available are for the All American 22 qt and newer Mirro canners. I'm not sure if they would be a good thing to get or not. Help?

Comments (4)

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

Mirro don't need testing, since they just have weighed gauge. Only dials need tested.

You can use the info here and don't need a manual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Using a pressure canner.

• missemerald
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I guess I'm nervous because I've never done this before and I know the canner is not new (I remember when she bought it YEARS ago). I've heard stories about exploding canners- is that just an old wives tale? I think I need to replace the gasket as it looks somewhat warped and hard (but not brittle and cracked/dryrotted). Anything else I need to replace from a safety point of view?

Also, I have a glass top stove, I suspect that might not be the best one to can with, so I'm leaning towards using the side burner on the propane grill outdoors. Will that work? What is a good recipe to start with pressure canning anyway? If I can find some green beans I'll try that but if I can't, suggestions are most welcome and appreciated!

Thanks for all the help!

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Exploding canners is not an old wives' tale but it is not going to happen with today's canners.

The exploding canners stories came after WWII when lots of munitions makers and foundries found there wasn't a market any more for guns or bombs and switched to making pressure cookers. There were over 10 manufacturers and over 80 models, some made by people trying to cash in on a new post-war market. They cut corners and compromised on quality and safety. Those first-generation pressure cookers didn't have the safety mechanisms today's pressure cookers do and yes, some blew up.

With today's pressure releases and additional safety features, "blowing up" isn't going to happen.

There are many threads about canning outside on burners and also canning on glasstop stoves, so you might want to spend some time reading earlier threads and then return with questions you have.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Good info from Carol above and as she said there are plenty of discussions here about both canning on glasstop stoves and canning outside that the search at the bottom of the page will pull up. FYI most propane stove side burners won't support the heavy weight of a full canner.

Linked a good source of your canner's parts below. Take care when buying the replacement gasket as there are several and only one works right. You might want to replace the over-pressure plug too and make sure your exhaust vent pipe is clean inside and open.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: your canner parts