Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with ingredent in this pepper recipe

Posted by ahbee01 z5 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 11:46

Hello I want to make these pepper rings and I can not find the brown mustard seeds it calls for, is there any thing I can use as a substitute like a prepared brown mustard or leave them out? Here is the recipe

Mustardy banana pepper rings
2 lbs banana peppers
5 c. White vinegar
2 c.water
1/2c.sugar
1 Tbl dry mustard
4 cloves garlic smashed
1/2 t. Turmeric
4Tbls yellow mustard seeds
4Tbls brown mustard seeds
(I'm condensing instructions)
Mix in everything but seeds bring to boil to desolve sugar simmer 5 min. Discard garlic.
pack peppers into 4pint jars, then top with a Tbl. Of each seed.process in bwb for 10.min let stand a week before eating.
I thought these would taste like the prepared pepper mustards that everyone is making around here with hot banana peppers but on the safer side! Any help would be appreciated. This recipe came from Better Homes and Garden canning and preserving. 2014 . Thank You, Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with ingredent in this pepper recipe

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 12:00

You can use the yellow mustard seed instead (so that would total 8 Tbls). Brown mustard seeds are smaller and hotter. You might try adding a tiny dab of horseradish to taste - for some reason, brown mustard seeds give me a hint of a horseradishy type heat, not a hot peppery type heat, if that makes sense :-)

o
RE: help with ingredent in this pepper recipe

I got some in the bulk section of Whole Foods,

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here