Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soggy Pickles ?

Posted by howsmom (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 26, 10 at 11:49

I grew up eating my grandma's home-made pickles, all different kinds (dill, icicle, bread & butter, sweet, etc). All were delicious, and crunchy.

I tried my hand at making some a few months ago - and I got something akin to pickle paste, they were that soggy.

Mistake #1, I now know, was using store-bought cucumbers. Even though they said they were "pickling cucumbers".

Beyond that though, I'm not sure.

I just tried again, using cucumbers from a local farm (I live in a townhouse, I cannot grow anything here myself), and a recipe from a book I have called "Bernardin Guide To Home Preserving". Only change I made was adding 1/8tsp of "Pickle Crisp" to each 500ml jar.

They were a "quick pack" pickle - iced overnight, packed and covered with boiling brine, then boiling-water processed after.

Will I still end up with soggy pickles ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soggy Pickles ?

Sure sounds like they should be ok. Did you remove the blossom ends, use fresh spices, make sure your water wasn't too hard? If so then you did everything you could so if they do turn out soft then most likely cause is the cukes weren't fresh picked.

Dave

o

I say cooking the cucs softens them.

Did your grandmother cook the cucs in the jar. I doubt it.

Here you can find out how to naturally ferment pickles without cooking them. go to the section on pickles.

Here is a link that might be useful: fermentation forum

o

The OP is not making fermented pickles, it is a quick pack recipe, and they are not "cooked" just BWB canned.

Even fermented pickles, which can just as easily turn soft and mushy, have to be canned the same way once they are finished fermenting. So there is no difference in the processing.

So it only confuses things when unrelated issues are thrown into the discussion merely for the purpose of directing the OP to someone's personal blog.

Dave

o

Yes, not a cool move, gardendawgie....

Normally pickles are soft because they are not fresh.
Processing actually helps prevent softness since processing destroys the enzymes that cause that softness due to the food deteriorating.
Pickle Crisp really does work to keep them more firm.
I see no other reason for them to be soft other than the cukes are not fresh. Often if you chill the pickles before you eat them they are also more firm.
Yours should be fine.

o

Yes, I removed the blossom ends.
I bought new mustard seed, and dill weed.

Not sure on the hardness of our water though.

I thought about fermenting, but I have three kids here, and I can just see them getting into the stuff - we have a SMALL home, and no real "no access" areas. Hence, I opted to do a quick pack.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here