Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soggy Pickles

Posted by melfield 4WY (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 11:49

The pickles I canned up last week are soggy. Yuck! What do you all think about using Alum to help keep them crispier??

Mel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soggy Pickles

The first thing is to figure out why the pickles are "soggy." The most common reason is that the cucumbers aren't fresh enough. Crisping agents have limited effectiveness if there are other issues.

Alum works only with fermented pickles. For quick process pickles Pickle Crisp (aka calcium chloride) is what to use.

Carol

o

In addition to not using fresh-picked cucumbers as Carol mentioned, using the wrong kind of cucumbers is the next most common cause. Trying to make pickles out of slicing cucumbers will guarantee soft, mushy, "soggy" pickles. Use pickling cukes only.

Check out the many discussion here about problems with pickles for more details.

Dave

PS: Agree that alum will be of no help. Pickling lime is what used to be used for crisping, not alum. Pickling lime has been replaced by Pickle Crisp since it is much safer to use and much easier too.

o

Yes, I used pickling cucumbers, but purchased them from the farmer's market, so they had probably been sitting around for a few days before I got them.

My cucumbers from the garden have been nuts lately, so I'll try again with those and try with Pickle Crisp.

Thank you Dave and Carol.

o

Just for clarification, alum and pickling lime are different but both are crisping agents.

Both are still approved for use in certain recipes (the NCHFP offers several) but as Dave mentioned, Pickle Crisp works well without the challenges of alum or lime.

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here