Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can Watermelon be frozen successfully?

Posted by angeliac 7A (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 11:50

Hi! Can watermelon be frozen successfully and if so how do you prepare it, etc.

Thanks!
Angelia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can Watermelon be frozen successfully?

frozen? yes
sucessfully ? if by that you mean will it freeze solid? yes

edible once defrosted, matter of opinion.
I wasn't a fan of the consistency once thawed, come mid winter that may change.

cut into 1"x1" chunks, get as much seed out as you can, put in freezer safe container, freeze.

o

Yes. I do cantaloupe and watermelon all the time. My method is to cut into 1" or so chunks, place on cookie sheet lined with Saran Wrap and freeze. After frozen spray the chunks with water and back into freezer to freeze again. Then vac seal in bags. The trick is to only partially thaw before eating.

jt

o

I agree with that!
My mom used to freeze melonball salad.
Watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew all scooped out with the Tupperware melonballer tool (grin...thanks for the memories).
Texture will change, but maybe that's OK depending on what you plan to do with the fruit later. Jam, sauces, etc. will be fine. Crunchy/juicy/like fresh..........no.
You can always try just a little. Freeze it overnight then thaw and see how you like it. You can eat it frozen too.........like a watermelon popsicle.

Deanna

o

Or you could freeze watermelon puree to make watermelon lemonaid when lemons are in season in the winter.

o

The watermelon will not stay solid once its frozen and thawed. Freezing will break down the cells and it will get mushy. Cantaloupe is a bit more dense, and can hold up better to a freeze/thaw

o

I don't think thawed watermelon is any good (I agree with ksrogers that it gets mushy) but I love it as quick watermelon sorbet. I freeze it in 1-2 inch chunks (seedless or with seeds picked out) and pack the frozen chunks in ziploc or vacuum bags. I blitz the chunks in a food processor with a little lemon juice and maybe a little sugar, depending on how ripe the melon is, and serve it right away. It tastes intensely watermelon-y and is fantastic after the season's over. The ziplocs will last just a month or two, but vacuum bags will keep it fresh well into the winter.

We also use the watermelon chunks to make frozen watermelon margaritas. Add tequila and lime juice and a little water if needed to get a drinkable consistency. Because it's more liquid, a blender will work fine--you don't need a food processor.

o

I freeze in chunks because I'm usually too busy to do otherwise at the time. When I defrost, then I puree, pour the puree into popsickle and/or push-up molds and freeze. You can also slip this puree into Jell-o instead of some of the liquid.

o

i put a whole watermellon in my freezer for 24 hrs, cut it open and was still in solid form and was very cold and sweet. Apparently the thick rind saved it from turning to mush

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here