Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missrumphius

Plum & Red Onion Confit - Safe for canning?

missrumphius
10 years ago

I would like an expert opinion as to the safety of this recipe for canning. It is from a British book (Sensational Preserves) whose author (Hilaire Walden) does not seem to believe in processing canned foods. I'm assuming this would need about 15 minutes processing time, similar to chutney. She is also rather vague as to cooking times.

Plum & Red Onion Confit

1 lb red onions, sliced
2 T olive oil
1 T Szechuan peppercorns
1 1/2 lb red plums, halved and stoned
10 oz red wine vinegar
sea salt
4- 6 oz light brown sugar

Gently cook onions in olive oil until soft
Heat peppercorns in dry, heavy skillet until fragrant,
stirring. Tip into mortar and crush finely or grind in spice mill.
Add plums, peppercorns, vinegar and salt to onions and simmer, uncovered, until plums are tender. Off heat, stir in sugar then simmer until thick.
Spoon into clean, dry jars. Cover and seal. Store in a cool, dark place for one month before eating. (This, of course, is where I would deviate from her instructions and process the confit.)

I think this sounds delicious. She recommends serving it with mashed potatoes and grilled sausage. I'm thinking the potatoes and pork tenderloin.

Comments (9)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

If you can assure the 5% acidity of the red wine vinegar and eliminate or reduce the oil to absolute minimum it would be ok IMO for what that is worth. I would drain the onions after heating them and deglaze the skillet too to remove more of the oil.

Processing times for most all the chutneys is 10 mins BWB I would probably be comfortable with that time as long as you understand it is a do-at-your-own-risk thing.

Over all the acidity is going to depend on the type of plums used as their pH varies greatly. Blue and Damson are the safest. Green Gauge, yellow, and red can be borderline.

Dave

• missrumphius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dave. I would probably use prune plums - they are my favorites and I'm seeing them at the farmer's market now.

Elaina

• cannond
    10 years ago

Elaina: How would you use this confit? Like chutney? On crackers? It sounds good, but I'm unsure about the application.

Deborah

• malna
    10 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate to can it. After all, Brits, Europeans and Canadians are not exactly dropping like flies from not BWBing jams and chutneys. It does have over a cup of vinegar plus sugar in it, and I usually cook my chutneys 30-45 minutes to thicken, so the onion should be acidified sufficiently.

Many of my chutney recipes call for 15 or 20 minute processing rather than just 10 minutes, and I don't notice any impact on flavor or texture from an additional 5 or 10 minutes of processing.

Deborah,
    My across-the-road neighbors are British, and I give them a Christmas "hamper" of chutneys and jams every year. A confit (yeah, I think it's just another chutney really) like this they would eat on bangers and mash (grilled sausages and mashed potatoes) or with any grilled meat like a pork chop or tenderloin. I think it would be good with grilled chicken, too. Also they love cheddar and chutney sandwiches. I've grown to love them, too.

If I can find good plums at the farmer's market, I'll try this one. Sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe, Elaina!

• cannond
    10 years ago

"If I can find good plums at the farmer's market, I'll try this one. Sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe, Elaina!"

Me too! And thanks Malna; I do like cheese sandwiches. This would probably be good on a grilled cheese.

Debora

• missrumphius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Deborah - I would second all Malna's suggestions for use. I also like chutney mixed into basmati or jasmine rice as part of a vegetarian meal. And I could possibly see this as part of an appetizer tray with cheese and crackers

I have a tomato chutney recipe that has been passed around my family for years ( I have 2 copies, one in a sister's writing another in a brother's). On of my favorite lunches is a sandwich of left over roast chicken, chutney and lettuce on whole wheat toast.

Elaina

• malna
    10 years ago

Another fun addition to an appetizer tray is take a small soft cheese round (Brie, Camembert, etc.) spread a thinnish layer of chutney on top, wrap in puff pastry (frozen Pepperidge Farm works just fine) with the folds on the bottom and bake until golden brown (maybe about 20 minutes). Serve warm so the cheese is still gooey with additional chutney and crackers on the tray.

Yummy stuff. I make that a lot during the holidays.

• cannond
    10 years ago

Elaina, is your tomato chutney a family secret or can you share? If it's a secret, I'll understand.

Malna, you're making me hungry.

Deborah

• missrumphius
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The tomato chutney is not at all a family secret. Here's the recipe:

Sweet Tomato Chutney

1 whole head of garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
    A piece of ginger about 2" x 1" x 1" peeled and coarsely chopped
    1 1/2 cups wine vinegar
    2 lbs fresh tomatoes - peeled and chopped
    (or 1 lb 12 oz can tomatoes)
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 t. salt
    1/8 -1/2 t. cayenne
    2T raisins - preferably golden
    2 T slivered almonds

Put the chopped garlic, ginger and 1/2 c. vinegar into a blender and blend until smooth
    In 4 qt non-reactive pot put tomatoes, the rest of the vinegar, sugar, salt, cayenne. Bring to a boil. Add puree from blender.
    Lower heat and simmer uncovered until thick - 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Stir occasionally at first and more frequently as it thickens. You should end up with about 2 1/2 cups of chutney.
    Add almonds and raisins. Simmer 5 minutes.
    Pack into hot, clean jars. Process 15 minutes

I usually make 2 batches - but in 2 separate pans. If you try to double the recipe it takes forever to cook down.

This really is my favorite chutney.

Elaina