Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
food_lover

Peach Chutney

food_lover
9 years ago

Is there an approved recipe for peach chutney? If so, would it be possible to post it here?
Thanks!
Jay

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

NCHFP Chutney recipes - any of them can be used and you just sub the same amount of peaches for the mangoes or the apples or the other fruit.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP chutney

• malna
    9 years ago

Here's a Bernardin recipe I've been using for years. I've included some of my notes explaining how I've tweaked the recipe depending on what I have on the pantry shelves and what mood my taste buds are in that day. It is excellent with chicken, turkey, and pork, with cheese, or stirred into cooked basmati rice (depending on the spices). You can make it sweet with the Island spices or more savory with Indian spices.

Exotic Peach Chutney
    You determine the flavor of this chutney by your choice of spice mixtures. Choose the mellow flavour of the Caribbean Islands via the Island Spice Mixture or a more traditional chutney flavour with the Calcutta Spice Mixture.

Ingredients
    6 1/2 lb (3 kg) peaches, 20 to 25 medium
    2 cups (500 ml) malt vinegar (the malt vinegar is excellent, but I have used apple cider vinegar instead - both are 5% acidity. I've also changed the proportions depending on what I have on the shelf; for instance, 1 cup malt vinegar, 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. White wine and white balsamic vinegars are also good, and add more sweetness.)
    2 cups (500 ml) lightly packed brown sugar (I start with 1 cup and add to taste, depending on the sweetness of the peaches. You can keep adding the sugar while cooking the chutney.)
    4 oz (100 g) fresh gingerroot (I prefer to use dried crystallized ginger. If I'm using fresh ginger, I usually cut the amount by a third to start. It can be a bit overwhelming depending on the quality of the fresh ginger. Or pull the gingerroot spice bag out sooner as you taste.)
    2 medium onions, finely chopped (I use 1-1/2 cups per Ball's Produce Purchase Guide)
    2 green peppers, seeded & finely chopped (I use one large or two small sweet red peppers instead [about 1 cup total] - I'm not fond of green pepper)
    1 hot banana pepper, seeded & finely chopped (I leave out the hot pepper)
    1 cup (250 ml) dark raisins (I use dried currants - which really are grapes - instead)
    1 cup (250 ml) golden raisins (I don't particularly like a lot of raisins, so I cut the total down to about 1-1/2 cups total)
    1 cup (250 ml) mixed glace peel (I don't like the grocery store stuff - I have substituted dried peaches which are really good, other dried fruits or a high quality mixed glazed fruit from nuts.com, but it can get pricey.)
    1 tbsp (15 ml) pickling salt (I start with 1 teaspoon and keep tasting)

ISLAND SPICE MIXTURE
    1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp (2 ml) grated nutmeg
    1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground cloves
    (I go light on the cloves and nutmeg - I buy mine from Penzey's and they are VERY flavorful. I usually add more cinnamon, because I love cinnamon. You could use pumpkin pie spice, too, instead of individual spices.)

CALCUTTA SPICE MIXTURE
    2 tsp (10 ml) curry powder
    2 tbsp (25 ml) celery seed
    1 tbsp (15 ml) mustard seed

Instructions
    For Calcutta Spice Mixture tie spices in a square of cheesecloth, creating a spice bag.

Blanch, peel and pit peaches. Coarsely chop peaches and combine with vinegar in a large stainless steel saucepan. Stir in sugar. Bring to a boil and cook until peaches are tender.

Peel and grate or finely chop gingerroot; tie in a large square of cheesecloth, creating a spice bag. Add gingerroot spice bag, onions, green and banana peppers, dark and golden raisins, mixed peel and pickling salt to peaches. Stir in your choice of Island Spice mixture or Calcutta Spice bag. Return mixture to a boil. Stirring frequently, simmer until thick, about 45 minutes.

Remove thickened chutney from heat and discard spice bag(s).

Place 6 clean 500 ml mason jars on a rack in a boiling water canner; cover jars with water and heat water to a simmer (180 deg F/82 deg C). Set screw bands aside; heat SNAP Lids in hot water, NOT boiling (180 deg F/82 deg C). Keep jars and SNAP Lids hot until ready to use.

Ladle chutney into a hot jar to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of top rim (headspace). Using nonmetallic utensil, remove air bubbles.

Wipe jar rim removing any stickiness. Centre SNAP Lid on jar;
    apply screw band securely & firmly until resistance is met - "fingertip tight. Do not overtighten. Place jar in canner; repeat for remaining chutney.

Cover canner; bring water to a boil. At altitudes up to 1000 ft(305 m), process - " boil filled jars" - 10 minutes.* When processing time is complete, turn heat off and remove canner lid. When boil subsides - bubbles no longer rise to surface (3 to 5 minutes) - remove jars without tilting. Cool jars upright, undisturbed 24 hours. DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands.

After cooling, check jar seals. Sealed lids curve downward and do not move when pressed. Remove screw bands; wipe and dry bands and jars. Store screw bands separately or replace loosely on jars, as desired. Label and store jars in a cool, dark place.

Makes about 6 x 500 ml (pint) jars.

Note: There are many different types of curry powder. Indian food aficionados may wish to substitute their own garam marsala blends for the Calcutta spice mixture.

*At altitudes higher than 1,000 ft (305 m) increase processing time as indicated in chart.

Boiling Water Canner - Altitude Adjustments

ALTITUDE
    1,001 - 3,000 ft (306 - 915 meters) Increase processing time 5 minutes
    3,001 - 6,000 ft (916 - 1,830 meters) Increase processing time 10 minutes
    6,001 - 8,000 ft (1,831 - 2,440 meters) Increase processing time 15 minutes
    8,001 - 10,000 ft (2,441 - 3,050 meters) Increase processing time 20 minutes

• food_lover
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What about the recipe below? I have canned the chutney made from this recipe before and it was delicious (from Gifts Cooks Love: Recipes for Giving [Sur la Table]). It does not come from one of the books that people in this group recommend so I would like to find out if it is safe to use.

Green Tomato Chutney
    4 lbs green (under ripe) tomatoes, chopped
    1.5 lbs onion, chopped
    1 lb tart green apples, cored and chopped
    6 cloves garlic
    2.5 cups cider vinegar
    2.5 cups brown sugar
    1/3 cup honey
    1.5 tbsp mustard seeds
    1 tbsp salt
    2 tsp ground ginger
    2 tsp ground allspice
    5 fresh red chiles, thinly sliced
    3/4 dried currants

Shortened instructions are to combine and boil for 30 to 60 minutes. Process in BWB for 10 minutes.

If it does not look safe, are there changes that could be made to make it safer? For example reducing the amounts of onions, peppers, and/or garlic...

Also, is there any chance that the sugar or honey could be reduced at all.

Furthermore, could peaches or other fruits be substituted for the green tomatoes (like in the other recipes)?

Thank you so much!