Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelacan

pressure canner question!!!!

angelacan
10 years ago

Hello! Please help me figure something out. I have an All American gauge presser canner. I canned 12 quarts of green beans yesterday. I read my manual several times (I haven't canned in almost 2 years) to ensure I was following every step. My manual said to let the steam escape for 2-3 minutes once it it fully blowing through all 4 escape holes. So, I probably waited 6-8 to ensure it was fully blowing through all. The manual also stated to not let the steam blow longer than necessary because the canner might dry out.
Last night while ready various books and articles I realized the Ball Book and another article I was reading said to let the steam escape for 10 minutes before closing it up to let the pressure rise.
Please help, any thoughts would be appreciated as I'm doing more tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Comments (7)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

First, I assume you have had your gauge checked this year as needed? Does you canner have the weight too or just the old petcock?

10 min. is the recommended amount of time. Less "might" leave air trapped in the canner.

Depending on how old your manual is that would explain the difference in the times. But what they really mean is don't let it vent for 20-30 mins. :)

Also keep in mind that we don't normally recommend using the manuals for canning instructions as even the manufacturers acknowledge that they are seldom updated.

If you are concerned about your canner running dry - a real concern when doing long processing times - just start with more water in the canner. Instead of 3-4 inches, start with 5. Green beans are a short processing time at 20-25 mins. so running out of water isn't usually an issue.

Dave

PS: also note the newish instruction about waiting 10 mins between removing the weight and removing the lid

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Steps to using a PC

This post was edited by digdirt on Fri, Aug 9, 13 at 12:17

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

The full 10 min. is necessary for venting. I am not sure what you mean by "all 4 holes". What 4 holes ? You have a vent pipe that it comes from. Just one hole that I am aware of.
    Five inches of water is too much. If you use that much then you are not having enough steam pressure. No more than 4 inches and that is for fish or something with a long time.
    Two or 3 inches is plenty for green beans. Standard is 2 to 3 inches.

• angelacan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My canner has 4 small holes in the vent. Steam comes out of all four of them and when it is flowing strong and steady out of all 4 I set my time for 3 minutes. It takes a whole for it to be flowing out of all for and not just a couple. Dave, my canner is checked and good to go. I will let the steam go for 10 from now on but what should I do with me 12 quarts? I truly appreciate your responses and time.

• angelacan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My model number is 930, just in case that helps!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Yeah the 930 is the big 30 quart model so it will handle more water easily if necessary. But the "4 holes" is an issue as I have never seen a 930 with 4 vent holes of any kind. Or any other model AA for that matter except for one of the very old petcock models that had a small screen in the vent. And I have seen lots of them.

And there is no mention in my manual about venting from 4 holes so I think you are mis-understanding something unless this is some very old model.

My manual reads "after placing lid on cooker and placing pressure cooker on the heat source, you must allow steam to escape from the vent pipe for 7 minutes before placing the pressure regulator weight on the vent pipe. This procedure is called exhausting..."

The only mention of "holes" is in the instructions for lining up the proper hole in the weight on the vent pipe.

There are no other places where steam should be escaping except for a small amount around the over-pressure plug when it first comes up to pressure.

So how old is this canner, exactly where on the canner are these 4 holes, and does your canner have the weight or a petcock?

Dave

• angelacan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My manual reads "Leave valve stem open until steam has escaped fully for two to three minutes thru the four small openings in valve." I do have an old canner, bought it second hand and its pretty much new. I can't even find a date on my manual. I will let the steam escape for a full ten minutes from now on but what should I do with the 12 quarts that are done? I also dont know what a petcock thing is and cant find that info in my manual. Thank you so much!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

If the only thing you didn't do was the full 10 min. steam venting then your beans are fine.

You did several mins anyway just as we all did before the guideline was changed. I'd be very comfortable eating your beans. :)

Dave