Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcapostman

Help with first time pressure canning Tomato Sauce

rcapostman
10 years ago

Used my pressure canner for the first time Yesterday. Followed directions for my presure canner and made Tomato Sauce from directions on pickyourown.org. After comming out of the canner I noticed some of the sauce dried to the outside of the jars like it boiled over in the pressure canner. Checked the seals on all jars and there is a small loss of liquid(very small) and all are sealed. Is this going to be a problem? Is my Tomato Sauce safe? IF not what happened and what did I do wrong? Help please

Comments (7)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I haven't checked Pickyourown to see what their directions say. Some of them follow current guidelines and others don't. Assuming you followed safe-test procedures, the tomato sauce will be fine to consume as long as the seals are good.

You experienced siphoning of product from the jars. This phenomenon has been discussed many times as it's a common problem.

Here's the Presto FAQ regarding the problem. Many Extension sites also address the issue. It's also why we recommend a trial run with colored water to become accustomed to your stove and canner operation before processing product.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Presto FAQ Liquid Loss from Jars

• rcapostman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Carol,
    Thanks for the info I have a Presto Pressure Canner so that explains what happened. We are using one of the jars today. I am sure glad this forum is here. I have a large garden and I was just wasting food even after giving lots away. My next attempt is bread and butter pickles!

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Hope you don't mind if I just C&P an answer from one of the previous discussions here on siphoning and its causes.

NCHFP has a good table on the causes of siphoning/loss of liquid that may help (Carol linked that).
    One of the main causes is skipping the 10 min wait between removing the weight and removing the lid. Did you do that? You also want to wait several more min after removing the lid before removing the jars.

Adjusting the heat source too much is also a common cause. Better to let it run a little high than to adjust too much trying to keep it pegged.

Also check out the NCHFP How-To Use a Pressure Canner guide for step-by step instructions. Canner manuals are usually outdated on this info.

Dave

PS: NCHFP is also a better source of recipes as all there are tested and approved. Some the recipes at the source you used are not.

• Linda_Lou
    10 years ago

Be sure you use the 10 min. wait time after pressure canning. Let the pressure drop to zero. Then remove the weight or counterweight. Leave the lid on. Set timer another 10 min. Then remove lid and jars from canner. That helps with siphoning or liquid loss.

Also, I hope if this is a new canner and has a dial you got it tested before you used it. They can be inaccurate from the box.
    As was said, please do not rely on websites that you do not know use safety tested recipes. Some people just make up things and post them. It can lead to botulism if you do things incorrectly.
    The Ball blue book and the Univ. of Georgia and other extension sites are your best places for correct information.

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

Pick your own tries to keep up as best as she can.

• rcapostman
    Original Author
    10 years ago

To answer the questions here, yes I had the dial tested. I also waited the alotted time for the pressure to go down. One thing that did happen is the pressure did vary alittle but never dropped below was stated in the manual, in fact it did go higher then what was needed. Here is what I used for the sauce http://www.pickyourown.org/canning_tomatosauce_pressure.htm. please someone look at it and let me know what you think. Anyway I did it yesterday afternoon and my wife is useing a pint of it tonight. I hope we dont end up at the ER

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

I checked the PYO instructions. They are fine and include the acidification too.

So it was the pressure fluctuations that most likely caused the siphoning. If you convert your canner to a weighted gauge canner you'll have less problems.

Dave