Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

Canning tomatoes (waterbath)

CaraRose
9 years ago

Going to attempt to can some of my excess of tomatoes. A few questions--

A dumb one... but what does removing the core mean?

Canning in water vs canning without excess liquid. Is there a pro or con to either?

Comments (13)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

Removing the core is the kind of hard part where the stem attaches to the tom.

"Canning in water vs canning without excess liquid. Is there a pro or con to either?" I don't understand the question?

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are recipes for canning in water, and also canning the tomatoes without added liquid (both on NCHFP and Ball's site). Is there any reason to prefer one method over the other?

• flying_c
    9 years ago

I've never canned them in water, but have done a no added liquid version from Ball. I can't help but think that adding water will dilute the flavor. However, when packing the tomatoes without water you need to squish them down into the jars to fill the space, and as a result they don't retain their shape very well. Maybe that's the advantage of packing in water, the tomatoes stay whole and it's more attractive (and a slightly different product).

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    9 years ago

If I'm correct, you mean adding water when you process the tomatoes before adding them to the jar?

Most tomatoes have enough liquid in them that adding water isn't necessary. After peeling and coring you have all of the liquid that you will need. You would just be adding water that isn't needed.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Not to mention that water dilutes the flavor even more. The NCHFP method called Crushed Tomatoes is the most preferred method.

Dave

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think the ball recipe basically said add hot water to fill the jar after adding the tomatoes (which may be whole, halved, or quartered).

My thought on water was that it would dilute. I suppose if you drain the tomato pieces, they'll be in better shape.

I'll do without added liquid or crushed, thanks :)

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Just be sure to note the proper processing time for the method you use, they differ (just raw packed into jars without added hot liquid takes longer).

• CaraRose
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Additional question, can I do half pints and just process them like pints?

• dbrown2351
    9 years ago

I quarter mine before canning, and press down in the jar and the juice rises, also there is plenty of juice left from the cutting board when quartering to fill the jars. I usually end up with a full quart or more of juice left over.

Have never canned them whole, not sure of the point of it. When you cook with them they will break up anyway.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    9 years ago

Cara, yes, you may do half pts and process the same as for pints. I've done half pints of things for my mother who has a little tiny appetite and lives alone. Green beans, tuna, even tomatoes. But they are awfully small amounts. I can in pints or quarts for two but I wonder if I lived alone if I wouldn't can in pints and enjoy leftovers the next day.

My elderly still-canning neighbor has a huge supply of jars from the cannery, we call them 'oyster' jars, straight sides, 10 oz size, and the regular (not wide mouth) jar lids and rings fit them. The 10 oz does make a good size for her, also cooking for one the last many years. And processed as for full pints.

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

I do lots of half pints myself. We decided the trade off in needing more jars/lids/time filling and processing was worth the smaller amount. DH uses most of our tom sauce when cooking just for himself after getting off work late at night, so the 1c amount is just right.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Canning tomatoes whole , IMPO, takes a lot of jars and shelf space. So does freezing whole tomatoes. I do it like thick Spaghetti sauce (Nothing added, just tomatoe and maybe some lemon juice to reduce pH). This way the volume is reduced almost to 1/2 to 1/3. We add all the spices when we open and use it. YMMV.

• murkey
    9 years ago

one of my old ball books has a recipe for salad tomatoes. You dice them and then add tomato juice, instead of squashing them. I never heard of adding water .

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area