Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

How to dry green beans, before freezing

catherinet
9 years ago

After I dip my green beans for 3 minutes in boiling water, I let them drain for awhile, and then dab them with a paper towel, but they still have enough moisture on them to form ice crystals in the freezer. I've even tried putting them in my salad spinner!
Can I leave them just sitting out until they dry?
Any better ideas?
Thanks.

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

I assume you are going from the boiling water right into ice water, right? Blanching requires the ice water dip to stop the cooking.

Then you drain them out of the iced water and dry them. I've done the spread them out on a paper or dish towel but the salad spinner works best IME. I stick a paper towel in the spinner with them to absorb more moisture. I don't think there is anyway to prevent ALL ice crystals.

Laying out for a bit, sure. But if you leave them laying out in the air for very long you are just inviting more bacterial contamination.

Dave

• malna
    9 years ago

Use whatever method you prefer to partially dry them (salad spinner, paper towels, etc.) then lay them in a thin layer on a cookie sheet and pre-freeze them before you "bag 'em and tag 'em" (as we call it).

We use our frost-free freezer drawer in the fridge. Dries them nicely and they don't get all clumpy in the bag even after we vacuum seal them. BTW, thanks for the reminder! I have about 3 pounds pre-crisping right now I need to put up.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I just put them on paper towel with another on top and blot, don't really dry, then freeze on a cookie sheet. When they're frozen I seal about 1 lb in each FS bag. Then I can just slit the seal a bit, pop them in the MW for 5 minutes and they're done. I've never noticed any ice crystals. Of course with the FS, they're all compressed into 1 lump anyway. So maybe I can even skip the "pre-freezing" but that way I can use the FS on Dry setting instead of Moist and really get all the air out.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! The towel in the salad spinner is a good idea. How about a hair dryer? Just kidding! Although.....on the "cool air" setting, it might be good. haha
    Thanks again!

• steve22802
    9 years ago

If you have lots of beans to dry you might try spinning them in your washing machine. You'd want to put them inside something like a mesh laundry bag or clean pillow case first.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I have a ceiling fan over my kitchen island. Just lay a heavy bath towel, dump the wet/damp produce on, blot with another bath towel, then turn the fan on.

Sponsored
Steadfast Construction
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Arlington County's Experienced Custom Deck Builder I Best of Houzz