Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuntrygal

Where can I find an approved pepper sauce recipe?

KuntryGal
11 years ago

Where can I find a safe pepper sauce recipe? We like pepper sauce on things like turnip greens, collards, sometimes pintos & cornbread.

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

You can almost always find a recipe at either NCHFP or in one of the Ball books. Do you have the Ball canning book? There is another in it on pg. 55 that is a tomato based hot sauce.

If you can't find a recipe in one of those sources it sometimes means it cannot be safely done at home. That is not always the case as there are a few other approved books. But those two sources are where to start.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Hot pepper Sauce

• KuntryGal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That recipe sounds like something similar to the pepper sauce I've used before, but it didn't have tomatoes in it. I know leaving out the tomatoes would change the acidity of it & therefore probably not be safe?

I'm wondering if the pickled jalapeno rings or sweet pepper rings is a pepper sauce that I'm used to...like just the liquid out of it? And I'm wondering if there's any where I could use a variety of different peppers instead of just one kind?

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Sorry I'm not sure I understand your questions.

Which recipe are you talking about? The linked one or the one in the BBB. Both of those recipes are safe as written. Or is it you don't want any tomatoes in it? Like say Tabasco Sauce that is pure red chili peppers and vinegar?

I'm wondering if the pickled jalapeno rings or sweet pepper rings is a pepper sauce that I'm used to...like just the liquid out of it?

No the liquid would just be water and vinegar with maybe a hint of jalapeno flavoring. But what you could do is puree the jar contents after you open it and then keep it refrigerated for use. But you can't can it pureed.

And I'm wondering if there's any where I could use a variety of different peppers instead of just one kind?

The recipe I linked above makes it clear that you can use any mix of hot peppers you want. It says "3 pounds hot peppers (for example, Anaheim, Hungarian, Jalape�os)".

Same with the Pickled Hot Peppers recipe you can use any kind you want as long as the totals stay the same.

Does that help?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Pickled Hot Peppers

• soonergrandmom
    11 years ago

I think you are talking about hot pepper vinegar where the peppers remain in the bottle and you just use the hot vinegar. Is that right?

• KuntryGal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, soonergrandmom! Not hot though, just peppers staying in the bottle & using the liquid to drizzle on turnip greens, collards, pintos & cornbread & such.

Thank you, Dave for your help! Sorry if I wasn't clear. I don't want tomatoes in it. What I'm talking about may only be here in the South lol...country cookin'. All I know is restaurants here that serve southern cooking has a bottle of the pepper sauce I'm talking about on each table (can't think of the brand name). My mama used to can some, but she's no longer here for me to ask her.

It seems like maybe I could just use the jalapeno ring liquid, but not sure. Guess I'll have to just try it cause I'm going to make the Jalape�o rings anyway.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Pepper Vinegar, the standard table condiment, is what is called a flavored or seasoned vinegar rather than a sauce. Flavored vinegars - tons of different recipes for them - don't require canning/processing as they are made with mixtures of various vinegars. Refrigerated storage is however recommended to prolong them.

Linked one set of instructions with pics below but be sure to read thru the NCHFP Guidelines for Making Flavored Vinegars first.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pepper Vinegar

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area