Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
val_s

V 8 Juice

val_s
12 years ago

I've been searching and searching! Either it's somewhere in cyberspace or I'm not asking the right questions of the search engine....

I'm sure I saw on here quite awhile back, a recipe for a V8 juice substitute that can be canned. I think it might have had to be pressure canned and that's why I didn't snag the recipe. I have a chance tomorrow to have enough tomatoes that I'd like to can some juice.

Does anyone know the recipe I'm talking about? I know that there are some veggie juice recipes in my canning books but everyone raved so much about this other recipe tasting EXACTLY like V8 that I thought I'd give it a shot. I think the recipe was originally done by a forum member...Annie, Linda?

Thanks - Val

Comments (21)

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

Yes, it is from Shirley. Vegetable juice cocktail, I think it is called.

• malna
    12 years ago

I'm pretty sure you're looking for Shirley's Vegetable Juice Cocktail. Here's what I have saved:

"Another favorite is Shirley's vegetable juice cocktail, chilled and served with a dash of Worcestershire and some freshly ground pepper and salt.

Vegetable Juice Cocktail
    2 tbls celery seed
    7 quarts fresh tomatoes
    2-3 peppers
    3-4 onions
    2 carrots
    Lemon Juice
    Salt
    Sugar
    Cook tomatoes. Liquify other vegetables in blender or food processor and add to tomatoes along with celery seed. (If you need to, you can add just a little cooked tomato mixture to the blender to help liquify. That's what I did) Simmer 45 minutes, put through a food mill, return to pan and bring back to a simmer. Pour hot into hot jars and to each pint jar add 1 tbls lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp sugar. Seal jars and pressure can 35 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure.

Makes about 7 quarts

I hope this helps. Happy canning!

Carol"

• annie1992
    12 years ago

I agree, I think it's Shirley's Vegetable Juice Cocktail you are looking for.

Which reminds me, I ought to be canning some too...

Annie

• tracydr
    12 years ago

I made this a couple months ago, but didn't can it. I had about one gallon, so I figured we'd drink it fast enough to store it in the fridge. Made some delicious bloody mary's and bloody beers.
    I seem to remember adding a little bit of chard when I ran it through the juicer, probably because the chard was going crazy at the time. And, a few hot peppers.

• val_s
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! I knew it was a female name that went with it but couldn't remember who :-)

I've got 7 quarts sitting in the canner now waiting to get up to pressure. Yum...can't wait.

Thanks again - Val

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    12 years ago

I notice that the core ingredients for vegetable juice cocktail (tomatoes, peppers, onion) are the same as for Annie's Salsa and want to know if the vegetable juice can be processed in a boiling water bath, which is recommended for Annie's Salsa. One difference is that the juice calls for carrots. Would the carrots require that it be be canned under pressure? Surely would like to make this without dragging out the pressure canner, but would it be safe?

Thanks,
    Barbara in Virginia

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Not at all the same because the salsa has much more added acid - 1/3 cup of vinegar for substantially less total ingredients. This does not, it has only the 1-2 T of lemon juice which is the normal acid required for canning any tomatoes. That is a crucial difference.

The juice needs to be pressure canned.

Dave

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    12 years ago

Thanks, Dave. Glad I asked.

Barbara in Virginia

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Can someone please clarify?
    I want to make this but the recipes calls for 7 QUARTS of tomatoes, then instructs you to add the lemon juice, salt and sugar to PINT jars.
    Then it lists the yield as 7 QUARTS.

So are you guys canning this in pints or quarts?
    I'd much rather have quarts, but if the processing time is for pints, I won't scale up.

TIA,
    Deanna
    (with a new source for gorgeous tomatoes @ $0.75/lb.--WOOHOO!).

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Just a typo. Depending on which time you copied the recipe the amounts for quarts to be added would be doubled per the standard acidification chart. That part was just left out somewhere along the line. You can can it in pints or quarts.

Quarts always get 2 T lemon juice, the salt and sugar are optional to your taste.

Dave

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Thanks, Dave.
    Processing time is sufficient for quarts???

Deanna

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Sorry I should have added that - my copy says 25 mins. for pints and 35 mins for quarts. That is what I use. I'll dig through the copies of it here and if I find anything different I'll email you.

Dave

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Sounds good. I'll update my copy because I'm definitely doing quarts!

I'm also going to add the salt and sugar to the entire batch and not adjust seasonings in the jar! Lemon juice will be added to each jar.

I appreciate the quick response!

Deanna

• val_s
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've made 3 batches of this since I first asked the question and I just love this stuff. Better than V-8 to me because it has little bits and pieces in it (pulp if you will).

My biggest problem is/was trying to figure out how much 7 quarts of fresh tomatoes is. Now my tomatoes are done but if anyone has a helpful tip for next year I'd be happy to learn it.

Val

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

NCHFP says 22 lbs to make 7 quarts (processed). But dry measure 8 quarts is 1 peck, so if you have a peck or half peck basket you can just measure that minus a quart (2 dry pints). I've got a generous 1/2 peck of tomatoes on my counter, just weighed them and got 6 lbs 3 oz. Took a couple plums out (fit in a pint clamshell with lid closed) and went down to 5 lbs 14 oz. So I'd say 7 dry quarts are probably just under 12 lbs. HTH.

BTW, NCHFP has a recipe that can be BWB - no more than 3C of low-acid veggies for 22 lbs of tomatoes so not quite as nice as Shirley's but an option for those of use w/o a PC. I find that if I make it in the same (unrinsed) pot after I stick Annie's Salsa in the canner it picks up that spicy flavor (though I scrape the pot pretty clean - any salsa that doesn't fit in the canner goes in the fridge and doesn't last a day). Also a good way to use up any excess/partial peppers and onions that got chopped up for salsa (if you happen to have any tomatoes left that didn't get used in the salsa LOL!). I throw in the seeds and goo left over from peeling/deseeding the tomatoes for salsa too, since you're going to strain it out anyway.

I usually am lucky to have just a pint or 2 of "Goo juice" to can after making salsa - most of the time DH drinks it fresh. Also nice that the cooking time (20 min) meshes nicely with the processing time for Annie's so once I pull the salsa out of the canner I can quickly warm the jars (if I didn't have empties in the canner with the salsa) and put the juice in the canner while the water is still hot. Saves on the electric bill ;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP Veggie Juice Cocktail

• IQgarden
    12 years ago

do you skin the tomatoes before cooking them up or just core and quarter then cook???

• val_s
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The first and second time I made it I did peel, core and quarter them. Lots of work. The third time I just cored and quartered them.

I think the third batch tastes a little different but it's not anything too major.

Val

PS - Thanks ajsmama for trying to explain it to me. I did try the whole weigh the tomatoes thing. It didn't work out for me too good. And I don't have a clue what a peck is :-)

But I do appreciate the effort.

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

A peck is 8 dry quarts, or 1/4 of a bushel (which should weigh 53 lbs, so a peck weighs about 13lbs). But I think since NCHFP's veggie cocktail yields 7 quarts and uses 22 lbs of tomatoes, and Shirley's yields 7 quarts too (not sure how many cups of low-acid veggies hers uses compared to NCHFP's 3 C), I'd go with the 22-23 lbs rather than 12 lbs. Worst case, you end up with more than expected and it'll be higher acid. It will cook down some.

• dspen
    11 years ago

Hopefully someone will have the answer to this.....

I have extra tomatoes coming in and would like to make some V 8 Juice for the husband. I understand about the amounts of tomatoes and adding other low acid veggies to the juice. However, is it ok to add dry spices? Such as extra black pepper, or dry celery powder? Or I have dried and ground sweet peppers.

I guess I am asking if it has been dehydrated, is it ok to add in any amount that suits the taste?

In a link in one of the above postings, it shows a recipe for juice that has added veggies and can be water bathed. I could not find this recipe in my Ball Complete Home Preserving Book.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Diane

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Yes to the dried herbs and spices. You can always add dried seasonings, just not fresh.

NCHFP - Tomato Vegetable Juice Blend

Dave

• dspen
    11 years ago

Thanks Dave

You are always so helpful. I really appreciate you and everyone else on this forum

Diane