Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning chicken stock.

Posted by allyn12 8a (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 12:21

Last night I pressure canned chicken stock after leaving it to chill overnight in refrigerator and de-fatting. Looking at the jars I see what might be a little bit of fat at the very top of jar. It is not a solid layer, just around the perimeter. Also one of my jars is an inch below the bottom of the band. Are either of these an issue?

This post was edited by allyn12 on Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 13:36

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning chicken stock.

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 13 at 13:14

An issue? The floating fat at the top - no. It is almost impossible to get it all out. The drop in liquid - not a safety issue although it indicates some siphoning happened that shouldn't have happened. Probably that band wasn't screwed on tight enough.

Dave

o

Thanks! I could smell the stock and wondered why.

o

If you could have got every bit of fat out, I would want to know how you did it. Use the lowered ones first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here