Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjean2007

Clear Jel and Corn starch

sjean2007
16 years ago

I will be making my first batch of apple pie filling this

year. I have a recipe that calls for 1 cup of corn starch.

I also have Clear Jel on hand. Soooo if I use the Clear Jel

would I still use the same amount as I would for corn starch?

And does anyone have a good...fail safe....recipe for

apple pie filling?

We must have 1,000 apples on our trees up north. This is

certainly going to be an adventure.

Thanks for all info.

Comments (9)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Start with a good apple peeler, the kind with the hand crank that peels, slices and cores all in one opration. No, Clear Jel is not cup for cup compatble. Hes, its much more stabe in home canning. For spices, I use a little cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger. Mostly cinnamon though. I use Splenda for sweetening and cannot use sugar. I made a slurry of the Clear Jel and either water or frozen apple juice concentrate (about a cup and a half). Mix it well and slowly pour some of the slurry into the bubbling mixture and stir continously, while watching for thickening. If its not thick enough, add a bit more of the Clear Jel slurry, or until it thickens to your preference. Be sure to allow it to cook for a couple of minutes just to make sure the starch is cooked too. I just canned 7 quarts, and because I like it tart, I also add a bit of an acid blend (malic, citric, tarteric) to boost the tartness a little. I use that acid blend in fruit jams too.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Since apples are less watery and have all kinds of natural pectin they set up well. I do think some of those pie-filling recipes are over-thickened, but it's a personal preference.

Here's the link to the NCHFP recipe, which calls for 1 1/2 cups, but personally I'd cut it back to 1 cup ClearJel unless you like your fillings really dense.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Apple Pie Filling

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

I agree with Carol about the pie filling being too thick. When I helped teach the new gals at the extension office this spring I had them thin their pie filling down. No oozing out of the jars that way. Otherwise it does tend to rise up in the jars and ooze out, keeping them from sealing. The headspace when canning pie fillings is important.
    Corn starch should not be used for the pie fillings, only Clear Jel. Cornstarch will break down and get watery.

• laura_lea60
    16 years ago

Hi there,

Big discuss at home is whether or not to use corn starch to thicken salsas to can in BWB. The recipe I've used for years (taken from gas company bill) calls for cornstarch/water mix. Now I've read not too. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Laura

• readinglady
    16 years ago

There are all kinds of recipes floating around that don't follow current canning recommendations. A few weeks ago our local "big city" newspaper featured a home-canner and her recipes, then had to write a retraction the next week because they realized the pickled beets weren't acid enough for canning.

TV chefs, internet posters, local newsletters offer all kinds of recipes that aren't necessarily "unsafe" but aren't of proven safety, so it's a gamble to use them.

No, don't thicken with cornstarch. It changes the density of the salsa and that affects heat penetration. Salsa is high-risk because of the low-acid ingredients like peppers, so you don't want to do anything that upsets the balance. If there's any product you should make ONLY with safe-tested recipes, salsa is it.

Carol

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Corn starch is NOT suitable or safe for home canning. Its been found to prevent some home canning processes to properly reach the high temps for processing. I doubt if the gas company has any real knowledge about todays home canning processes. Because I did use some frozen apple juice concentrate as well as the Clear Jel, I was able to make a filling consistancy that was to my liking and know that it can be safely canned.

• laura_lea60
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for information. This morning I found all kinds of stuff from USDA through the "Canning Pantry" website. Has guides and recipes and even fact sheet on the "major canning sins". Very valuable info. I will feel better canning rest of salsa this evening! Have a great day!

• James McNulty
    16 years ago

Dear ksrogers,
    What is your blend and where do you get it (acid blend (malic, citric, tarteric). If you make it yourself, how much do you use and where do you get the malic and tarteric acids? Thanks - Jim

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

The acid blend is great with berry jams and even some drinks like Crystal light and apple juice to add a bit of character. I buy it from a wine making supply store thats local here. It can also be bought on line. I can go through an 8 ounce bag in a single season.

Here is a link that might be useful: Acid blend source

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio