Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simplicitygardens

Ginger Peach Preserves

simplicitygardens
13 years ago

Made the Ginger Peach recipe from Madelaine Bullwinkles book yesterday and it turned out very well.

3 pounds peaches (6 medium)

3 slices fresh ginger (size of a quarter)

2 cups sugar

1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

1/3 cup crystallized ginger (1 1/2 oz.)

Skin, pit, and chop the peaches.

Combine with 1 cup sugar and ginger slices.

Bring to boil in nonreactive saucepan.

Add remaining sugar 1/2 cup at a time along with lemon juice.

Gently simmer the jam, stirring frequently.

Cook for 30 minutes or until liquid thickens and clears.

Temperature rises to 212^F, volume reduces to 4 cups or so.

Cut crystallized ginger into pea sized pieces. After skimming foam and removing fresh ginger slices, fold in the crystallized ginger pieces.

Fill hot, sterilized jars to within 1/8 of top. Wipe rims clean, lid and band. Boiling water bath 10 min.

Very tasty, couldn't wait, I only just made it yesterday. The ginger is subtle but you know it's there. I wonder if it will get stronger as it sits? I love ginger so that would be fine with me.

Abhaya

Comments (8)

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

I made a peach-pineapple-ginger last summer. I still have a jar left. The ginger taste is stronger now than it was a year ago. It's still subtle, but now it is more noticiable. If that makes any sense.

I had made a note on my recipe to double the ginger next time I made it - since the taste originally so subtle. But now I know not to do that - and to just give the preserves about 6 months before eating.

• zabby17
    13 years ago

Abhaya,

That sounds lovely! Thanks for sharing.

I'm just about out of crystalized ginger---I have used it mostly to make a gingered rhubarb jam. (And to eat right out of the jar!)

May have to make some more while peach season is upon us....

Z

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Oooh, Zabby, will you post your Gingered Rhubarb recipe?
    I'm always looking for interesting rhubarb stuff.

The gingered peach sounds wonderful. I was just wondering if I could use Candied Ginger. I've got something called Ginger Chips, tiny pieces of candied ginger perfect for adding into cookies, muffins and .......... jam?!?

No chopping!

Deanna

• zabby17
    13 years ago

Deanna,

Crystallized ginger is essentially the same thing as your Candied Ginger "chips"---go for it!

I'll dig up that Rubarb Ginger jam for you tomorrow (gotta deadline today). It's from Ellie Topp too. It calls for honey as some of the sweetener, and with a good honey you can really taste it in the final product. Yumm!

Z

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Thanks Zabby, no hurry, the rhubarb's frozen already!

In my question about the candied ginger, I was refering to the recipe above that calls for fresh. Sorry if I was confusing to "read". :-)

I may try a ginger pear preserve of some sort this year.

Deanna

• zabby17
    13 years ago

Deanna,

Keep reading to the bottom of the ingredient list---it calls for both kinds! ;-)

Z

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

Ah, you are correct! That recipe had me at Peaches and Ginger!! Ha ha.

I think you could just add a tiny bit of ground ginger to the peaches and all the candied. I don't usually keep fresh ginger on hand as I don't use it up fast enough.
    DH is not a ginger fan, but I love it!

Thanks for pointing that out!

Deanna

• secfiddle
    11 years ago

Rather than using sugar, can I use splenda or agave in its place? If so...how much?