Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aberwacky_ar7b

Sweet Jalapeno Pickles Recipe?

aberwacky_ar7b
17 years ago

A friend tried some sweet jalapeno pickles, loved them, and wants me to make some. These were pickled as rings, and served on cream cheese, much like hot pepper jelly.

Anyone have a recipe?

Thanks!

Leigh

Comments (7)

• booberry85
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Someone posted this recipe last year. It looked good to me although I haven't tried it yet. Hope this is what you're looking for.

Title: Recipe: Bread and Butter Jalapenos
    Board: Canning and Preserving at Recipelink.com
    Donated by David Lyons lyonscage
    This makes a very tasty and spicy addition to almost any meal.
    Bread and Butter Jalapenos
    4 lbs jalepeno peppers
    2 lbs onions
    3 cups vinegar
    2 cups sugar
    2 Tbs mustard seed
    2 tsp turmeric
    2 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp ginger
    Wash and cut jalapenos and onions into thin slices and cold pack into jars (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience!). Place remaining ingredients in large saucepot and bring to a boil. Pour hot mixture into jars,leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust caps. Process 10 minutes in boiling water
    bath. Yield: about 7 Pints.

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

Or could it be something like this:
    This one is not canned.
    Cowboy Candy
    1 1/4 cups sliced fresh jalapenos
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup water
    1 drop green food coloring (optional)

1. Slice jalapenos, and place in a small sauce pan.
    2. Add water and sugar.
    3. Cook over medium heat until boiling.
    4. Reduce temperature to low, and simmer until the liquid has reduced, and the sugar water has become syrup-like (about 15- 20 minutes depending on temperature of heat source).
    5. Let cool and place in clean jelly jar.
    6. Store in refrigerator.

Here is another one. Not sure whether it is actually safe to can. I would seriously doubt either one of these has enough acid.
    Cajun Candy
    1 lb green jalapenoÂs, sliced
    1 ½ lb ripe red jalapenoÂs, sliced
    2 sweet yellow onions, sliced
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    4 cups sugar
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 Tbsp mustard seed
    4-5 cloves fresh garlic, sliced thin
    Pinch of salt

Slice Jalapenos into 1/4" slices and slice the onions. I suggest wearing rubber gloves while handling the jalapenos and DO NOT TOUCH YOUR FACE!

Place jalapenos & onions in pan with water and vinegar and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer/steam until tender (about 10 minutes.) Do not breath fumes. Pour off the mixture into a strainer, reserving ½ cup of the water and vinegar.

Return the ½ cup water/vinegar liquid to the pan, and add the sugar and spices, cook for a few minutes to completely disolve the sugar...then return the peppers & onions and the sliced garlic to the pan with the sugar/spice syrup. Mix well, and simmer for about 5-10 minutes.

Place boiling mixture into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Put on caps and place rings on snugly. Process in boiling water bath for about 5 minutes. Cool & refridgerate after opening a jar.

Now, once you've made the candied jalapenos....and have a jar of them in the fridge - for a special treat, try mixing some of them 50/50 with Smucker's Peach Preserves for a FANTASTIC peach/jalapeno chutney! Great with smoked pork loin, grilled chicken, etc.

And one more
    Candied Jalapenos
    Cowboy Candy
    This makes a very tasty and spicy addition to almost any meal.
    4 lbs fresh jalepeno peppers sliced
    2 lbs onions diced
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1/2 cup water
    6 to 8 cups sugar depending on your sweet tooth I like more
    2 Tbs mustard seed
    1 tsp turmeric
    2 tsp celery seed (optional)
    1 Tbs garlic powder
    1 tsp ginger
    Slice Jalapenos into thin slices and dice onions (I would suggest a pair of rubber gloves for handling jalapenos, personal experience, do not touch your face!). Place in pan with water and vinegar,bring to a boil, reduce heat & simmer about 10 min or until tender. (do not breath fumes) . Pour off most of the water vinegar mixture, add the sugar and spices bring to soft candy temperature to completly disolve sugarabout anothe 10 min. Place boiling mixture into jars,leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps.

• aberwacky_ar7b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, ya'll! Since I didn't taste them, I'm not sure if they were like bread and butter pickles or more like the candy, but since they were canned, probably more like the B&B pickles. My friend said they tasted like a sweet pickle.

Think I'll give both versions a try this weekend.

Leigh

• melva02
    17 years ago

I have a pound of jalapenos & plan to make half into a regular pickled jalapeno recipe. Think it's safe to try to cut that B&B recipe down to an eighth of its original amounts? I figure with straight vinegar it should be pretty easy to get it right. I certainly don't need 7 pints of jalapenos, or a double batch of regular pickled ones for that matter. These local ones are way too hot for me! They are pretty though, green, red, black, and in between.

Melissa

• melva02
    17 years ago

Leigh, you might need to double the amount of brine for that B&B recipe. I just made it with 1/2 lb jalapenos, which is 1/8 the original amount. I started with 1/4 the amount of the brine (i.e. double the 1/8 proportion I was using for the peppers & onions), and still had to make another 1/4, in other words 4 times as much as I would have thought. I know recipes don't scale like that, but it seems like 3c vinegar & 2c sugar can't make 7 pints of jalapenos unless you pack them in "botulism tight."

Melissa

• aberwacky_ar7b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Melissa. Good to know before I start making them rather than in the middle of it!

Seems like it's a rarity when the amount of brine called for in the recipe works out to be the amount you actually need, doesn't it?

Leigh

• hamzy_wt_net
    12 years ago

Sorry but this is not the real reciepe for Cowboy Candy. Im sure they are good but Cowboy Candy is a trademark. Like Coke or Pepsi. If you dont have the original your just eating crap.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022