Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alphonse_gw

Adobo sauce

alphonse
12 years ago

Does anyone know of an approved canning recipe for this style sauce?

I'm refering to the Mexican style that uses chipotle, tomato, cumin, oregano, etc.

Comments (8)

• uaskigyrl
    12 years ago

Hi Alphonse! I've been thinking about the same thing. I came across this recipe and would like the opinions of the experienced canners:

Ingredients For Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
    �7 to 10 dried chipotle pepper chiles, de-stemmed and slit lengthwise
    �1/2 an onion, diced
    �1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
    �2 cloves garlic, minced
    �1/4 cup ketchup
    �1/4 cup soy sauce
    �1/4 teaspoon salt
    �3 cups water

The link is below. Please let me know what you think about their directions.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.chipotlepeppers.net/info/homemade-chipotles-in-adobo-sauce

• readinglady
    12 years ago

There just is no way of knowing whether that recipe is "sufficiently acid" or not, despite what the post says. We don't know anything about the qualifications of the individual or how that was determined. Was the 30-minute processing time pulled out of a hat? Is it for quart jars, what?

Generally speaking, 3 cups of water to 1/2 cup of vinegar is a very weak acid solution and I have no idea if that's sufficient. Was the poster aware that the pH of soy sauce can vary from as low as 4.4 to as high as 5.4? That's a huge range.

I know I'm beating a dead horse when I also say it's not worth the time and expense to can a product that's comprised principally of bottled products, but I will try one more time. The only fresh ingredients are the onion and garlic.

The Blue Cover Ball Blue Book (the one that preceded the current anniversary edition) and the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving both offer a recipe for a Roasted Tomatillo-Chipotle Salsa.

It calls for dried chipotles and cascabels, tomatillos, romas, onion, garlic, a bit of sugar (optional), salt and vinegar. For canning that's the direction I'd go.

Otherwise I'd freeze the posted recipe, making perhaps a double batch but no more because it can be put together easily any time of the year.

Carol

• alphonse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for your response.

Carol, your suggestion of the recipe from the Ball book is very close to my adobo recipe.

Am I correct to think bottled lime/lemon can be used in lieu of white vinegar?
    Would the addition of 1tsp. or less of cumin affect the pH?
    Can tomatoes substitute for the tomatillos (i.e., a total of 4# plum tomatoes)?

You're not beating a dead horse. All ingredients save vinegar, salt and sugar are from the garden.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Sorry. I should clarify that I was responding to Poster #2 and the recipe mentioned, not the traditional adobo.

To answer your questions, bottled lemon/lime can always be used in lieu of vinegar as they are even more acidic. However, we can't do the reverse. In other words if a Ball recipe calls for bottled lime, vinegar can't be used instead because it's less acid.

Cumin can be used freely. In fact, any dried herb or spice or dried peppers (as opposed to fresh) would be safe additions. They lack the water that "hosts" botulism spores.

Tomatoes and tomatillos can generally be interchanged as their pH, density, etc. are very similar. I hate to make a blanket statement as there's bound to be an exception somewhere but I haven't run across a safe-tested recipe that doesn't contain sufficient acidity for one as well as the other.

I hope that helps in your quest.

Carol

• alphonse
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It does.
    I understand your reluctance to make a blanket statement; high standards give this board a welcome credibility.

• rockiecarol
    11 years ago

Readinglady, have you seen a recipe for chipoltle chiles in adobo sauce? Could I put some of my smoked chilies in the roasted tomatillo-chipoltle salsa sauce in the fridge till they are pliable and then serve them?

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I haven't seen a home-canned recipe, but then I haven't really looked for one either.

Somewhere along the way I did see a couple of homemade ones. The question is where I saw them.

OK, I see Rick Bayless has one online. A search will bring it up. And this one I linked to looks appealing.

To answer your other question, yes, your smoked chilies in the tomatillo-chipotle salsa would be fine. Another option, if you don't mind a little additional tang is to reconstitute your smoked chilies in a small amount of boiling vinegar. Then drain, pat dry if desired, chop and add to the salsa. Refrigerate as per usual.

Or reconstitute and puree/blend and stir a bit of the paste (to taste) into the salsa. That might be interesting and add a real boost.

No safety issues with either option and no reduction of refrigerator life.

Do not reconstitute in water as you don't want that low-acid addition to the salsa.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chipotle Chiles in Adobo

• rockiecarol
    11 years ago

Wonderful info! Thanks, I will try this. Wish I lived where they were so
    plentiful.