Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would this be safe to do?

Posted by laceyvail 6A, WV (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 12:41

I have 3 pts of tomato puree that I canned in 2011. I plan to make ketchup this fall/winter, using a recipe that calls for 7qts to start with, spices, vinegar and all cooking down to 4 pts. I've been making this recipe for almost 45 years, and recently have taken to freezing the puree to make the ketchup in winter when things have slowed down--and I don't mind running the stove for many, many hours. But I've never used canned puree for this recipe. So my question: will it be safe to use those 3 pts mixed with frozen puree that I have yet to make.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would this be safe to do?

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 10:44

I can't think of a reason that your canned puree would pose any problems. As long as the quality (since it's three years old, but I've used canned tomatoes that were about that age) is still good, I'd go for it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here