Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kuntrygal

National Pressure Cooker Co. No. 7 Canner

KuntryGal
11 years ago

Someone gave me a canner that looks to be really old. It is a National Pressure Cooker Co. No. 7.

I have no idea where to buy parts for this.

What appears to be the vent tube can unscrew in two places (the very top & at the bottom, which exposes a spring). It has holes in the body of it and a square hole on top that I'm assuming a counterweight goes on?

What appears to be a pressure valve doesn't have any rubber material that I see.

Is this something that I can buy parts for? Does anyone have a picture and/or owner's manual so I can see the original parts that came on it & compare?

Does anyone know about when it dates back to?

Comments (14)

• readinglady
    11 years ago

National Pressure Cooker is the company name (1917) for the Presto company. It became Presto in 1939.

So I'd guess it has to precede 1939 in manufacture. Any canner that old is always iffy, even assuming you could get parts for it. I have linked to one company that lists a sealing ring (have never done business with them so can't personally recommend).

You could contact the Presto company (www.gopresto.com) for their helpline number and see if they can tell you which parts are interchangeable with later models. A lot of Presto parts are usable with many canners.

You'll still have the issue once it's assembled of checking for warping or other deficiencies.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: National 7 Sealing Ring

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Hmmm I thought I gave you a link to parts supplies on another of your threads here about your 7B model? I linked another source below.

National is Presto, same company just a name change. The Model 7 was fairly common and was manufactured in the 1940's. The wood handled ones are older than the plastic handled ones.

Depending on its care and condition you'll want to replace several parts on it, especially the over-pressure safety valve and you will need to have the gauge tested or replaced. If I recall correctly it was a 16 quart model.

Just Google it by name and model and you can see all sorts of pics and there are several download sources online for the manual.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: National Mdl. 7 parts

• KuntryGal
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes you did give me a link for my Presto canner question. I didn't know that National Pressure Cooker Co. changed to Presto. This is an additional canner I have that someone gave me. It does have the wooden handles. It must be pretty old. I'll have to just see if any parts are available or if some of the available Presto parts will work on it.

• sunderbug
    11 years ago

interestingly, the national no 7 lid complete are interchangeable with the presto 21B.... parts seem to be available at several sites when searching for that. having said that, the gasket is the same but im trying to change over the no 7 to a rocker style vent and the plug looks different. but in a pinch, you could just exchange the whole lid if u could find one....

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I've done business with pressurecooker-outlet.com and been very happy.
    They were recommended by several other Master Food Preservers I know and I ordered from them this summer. Shipping was very fast!

Just my experience.
    Deanna

• sheila0
    11 years ago

Presto uses links to Amazon for a lot of parts for Presto products on their site. Presto has a lot of informaiton about older models, and manuals too.
    I just purchased a ring and pressure valve for an old Presto canner, and it's perfect. You may need the serial number from the canner to look it up, but not always. Also, some times the number on the bottom of the canner is NOT the serial number, so check the sides of the canner as well as the bottom. They are different. Some bottom numbers were for inventory information for the company only, so check for the number in two places to make sure.

• steven ludi
    8 years ago

have a national retort 20 quart canner that needs a gasket. any help on this old model?thanks

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

Have you checked with the linked sources provided above in this thread? They are quite good sources for out-dated parts. If none of them carry it then the odds of finding one are very slim. The only other alternative, if you honestly want to trust it for use, would be experimentation with more current model gaskets to see if you can make one of them work. But that is a risky proposition.

Dave

• gardnpondr
    8 years ago

I borrowed a friends All American and I can't wait to use it. I'll probably be hooked once I do. Man this thing is heavy! I love it because it's soooo tall I can stack my pint jars and do a bunch at one time in it. That's the part I love other than it being sooooo thick.

• digdirt2
    8 years ago

I love it because it's soooo tall I can stack my pint jars and do a bunch at one time in it.

You can do the same thing with the larger Presto and Mirro canners too for lots less money. Plus the weight of the AA when filled with water and/or jars of food becomes a real issue for some folks and for some stoves. AA canners are nice but they aren't unique in what they can do so one has to decide if the extra cost is really justified.

Dave

• steven ludi
    8 years ago

just a follow up on national retort 20 quart canner and gasket. Used a presto 9907 that I cut up and glued back together with super glue after measuring . Fits perfectly and had it up to 15 psi for 1/2 hour no leakage problems. Everything works great. Looking forward to some canning. BTW has anyone done any PIP cooking? TIA. Steve

• HU-406308605
    2 years ago

What would you pay for a used one total newbie

• HU-406308605
    2 years ago

Im a newbie here how much would you pay for a usef one?