Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this recipe safe for BWB pickles?

Posted by PlantsAndYarn 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 12:43

I think this would work but want the opinion of someone who is more experienced with canning. I did my first batch of pickles last year, but used Mrs Wages mix. This is for 4 quarts or 8 pints.

6 cups water
6 cups vinegar
1/2 pickling salt
5 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 Tbsp peppercorns
4 tsp mustard seed
2 tsp dried dill
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
8 garlic cloves

Divide onion powder, peppercorns, mustard seed, dried dill, red pepper flakes and garlic cloves evenly between jars. Pack cucumber slices or spear in jars. Bring water, vinegar & salt to boil. Pour over cucumbers, leaving 1/2 head space. Process in BWB 10 min for pints, 15 min for quarts.

ETA - forgot garlic cloves

This post was edited by PlantsAndYarn on Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 13:19

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this recipe safe for BWB pickles?

First, I want to say that Onion POWDER is going to make a cloudy brine. Stick with fresh or minced/dried product. This is from experience.

Re safety, I have picked up on a few points reading posts here. They look at the vinegar to water ration in the brine, bare minimum is 1:1. Because the brine pulls water from the cukes and other fresh ingredients, it reduces the vinegar concentration even more. The higher the vinegar to water ratio the safer it is. Dry spices and herbs generally have no impact on pH.

I make no definitive comment on safety. If I'm totally off base in my comments, I hope one of our resident experts will weigh in!
Steve

o

Thank for the headsup on the the onion powder. I'll go with the dehydrated mince onions.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 16:48

Like skeip said it meets the minimum safety requirements. More vinegar or added citric acid would be safer. Agree about the onion powder. Also if you use slices I would also add Pickle Crisp as slices will not be at all crisp otherwise.

Just so you know - This recipe will have a bite to it.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here