Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jalapeno slices: I don't have 3lbs

Posted by got_bullmastiff (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 11 at 12:47

Hello all!

Been forever since I posted here.. I have a lot of jalapenos this year but not as many as 3lbs.

I wanted to use the recipe that I've attached below, which calls for 3lbs but I wasn't sure if I should cut the recipe in 1/2 or if I should make the whole batch of pickling liquid and just toss the extra (I hate doing that)

Also, I'm planning on putting these in 1/2 pint jars. I'm assuming that would not be a problem..

Lastly, I'm assuming the lime soak keeps them crisp?

I'd love some imput. I did search the forum and there was a lot of info on jalapenos.. but I didn't see anything on this specific recipe.

I do have a recipe for a smaller batch in my "small batch preserving" book but that one calls for seeding and slicing in strips.. I don't think I like that look so much.. plus seeds add a nice spice!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Jalapenos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jalapeno slices: I don't have 3lbs

It is absolutely no problem making proportionately the correct amounts of vinegar, water, salt, and spices in the jars that you need. The main thing I would do far differently is completely skip the liming evolution - nowadays the exact same effect can be gotten from using Pickle Crisp (calcium chloride), put directly in the cold pack jars with the pepper slices and spices, just before pouring the boiling brine solution over the peppers in the jars. This eliminates the danger in working with lime, plus the additional days and hours working with processing the peppers in the brine, rinsing, soaking, etc. With PC, you just put everything in the jar, pour in the boiling brine, and process in the boiling water bath. It's always good when I can complete everything within a couple hours after work.

o

And of course I bought pickling lime already.. I've never ever made pickles before so I just rolled with it.

So essentially, make the recipe as is, eliminate the soaking, add pickle crisp to the jars with the spices... (how much? are there amounts on the container of pickle crisp?)
Now I'm excited!!!

Thanks for the help

o

You can also try a home brewing place. They sell calcium chloride too and apparently it's cheaper than "Pickle Crisp" just with out the name.

o

Calcium Chloride is perfectly fine to use but the granules are often larger than those of the branded Pickle Crisp, so you have to alter the amounts.

There are several threads with recommendations on proportions and tips for most effective use.

Carol

o

The PC jar says 1/4 tsp per qt., 1/8 tsp per pint. Doesn't take much.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here