Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judydel_gw

Eggplant in oil

judydel
12 years ago

Last summer I jarred eggplant using this recipe. It is very similar to a recipe my Italian father-in-law used to make. After making it, I kept the jars in the refrigerator. I actually have one 1/2 pint left from last summer.

This week my husband made a similar recipe that his italian buddy gave him. He claims he doesn't have to refrigerate the jars, even though there was no pressure canning or boiling water bath involved!

I'm SURE his method is not safe. But now I'm also wondering if the recipe I used was safe also. I've been assuming it's safe because I refrigerate the jars. I read the thread on Peppers in Oil and see that jarring in oil is not an approved method. But is it okay to make a recipe like this as long as you refrigerate it??

Ingredients

4 medium eggplants

1/2 cup coarse salt

2 tablespoons white vinegar

2 cups extra-virgin olive oil

1 bulb garlic cloves, peeled and chopped

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Directions

On the evening before you intend to make the dish, prepare the eggplant. Cut the ends off the eggplants, and peel. Cut the peeled eggplant into long strips about as big around as shoestring french fries. Place the strips into a large bowl, and stir in 1/2 cup of coarse salt.

Place a sturdy dinner plate upside down in a clean sink, making sure that the drain is not blocked. Place a generous handful of the eggplant strips onto the center of the plate, and cover with another upside down dinner plate to create an eggplant sandwich. Layer more eggplant and plates until all of the eggplant is sandwiched. Cap it off with one additional plate, and press down firmly. Set a sturdy stock pot on top, and fill with enough water to create some pressure on the eggplant layers. Not so much pressure that you break your dishes though. Let this pressing process stand overnight.

The next day, fill a large bowl with ice water. Begin dismantling your stack of plates. One layer (handful) at a time, briefly swish the eggplant around in the ice water, then squeeze dry and place into a clean bowl. If your hand starts to hurt, you are swishing too long. Once all of the eggplant is rinsed and squeezed and in the bowl, mix in the vinegar. Let rest for about 15 minutes.

Heat a splash of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano and sea salt. Cook and stir just until fragrant. You do not want to cook the garlic. Set aside to cool.

Your eggplants should be well rested now. Give them one last sqeeze. Make it a good one, or your melenzana is going to taste like pickles. ''Don't worry, this is the last time, I promise...'' (This is to be said to the poor little melenzana - they've been through so much!)

Place the squeezed eggplants into a large bowl, and stir in the contents of the skillet and remaining olive oil until well blended. Transfer to sterile 1 pint or 1/2 pint jars. Make sure to fill the jars to the top, and top off with any olive oil that may be left in the bowl. Wipe the rims with a clean dry cloth, and seal tightly with new lids. Refrigerate for at least a month before opening.

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It is difficult if not impossible to answer since you are using what are generally considered untested and unapproved methods and recipes. Wild Fermentation isn't considered a USDA/NCHFP approved source of safe reliable info and neither are personal recipes.

It is your choice to use them of course but all any of us can do is guess or offer personal opinions as to the safety since there is no safety documentation on any of it and most of us don't subscribe to it.

Personally, I would not find your eggplant recipe to be safe to consume because there is no processing and even if there was pressure canning would be required. But the oil in it insulates the bacteria preventing even the pressure canning heat from killing it. That is why oil is not approved for use in most canning recipes.

As a general rule, items which are kept refrigerated are considered safe to consume for a limited period of time but not for long term storage. Refrigeration does not kill or even stop the development of bacteria. It merely slows its growth. Harmful levels of listeria as well as other harmful bacteria can easily be cultured out of refrigerated foods in as little 3 weeks. Low acid foods like eggplant is further compromised if done in oil as it can contain botulism spores that can grow and produce lethal toxins. That risk simply isn't worth it to most.

For that reason USDA/NCHFP do not recommend long term fridge storage of foods that were never processed, especially low acid foods. While properly acidified, pickled, brined, and fermented foods have a somewhat longer fridge shelf life, it is not indefinite - far from it because the pH rises over time in storage and bacteria begins to grow. Depending on the food in question 3 months is max.

Proper acidification and proper full processing is the only way one can assure safe long term storage.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

This quote from the International Food Safety Network archives at Kansas State may answer your question:

Italian workers reported 65 per cent of 84 cases of botulism in that country in a five-year period were attributed to homemade vegetable preserves in oil.

Botulism is low-incidence but high risk, so an individual or family may follow a particular preservation procedure for a long time before the odds go against them. But when luck turns, then the results are very nasty.

This quote from Current Food Safety Issues of Home-prepared Vegetables and Herbs Stored in Oil by
    B. A. Nummer, D. W. Schaffner, A. M. Fraser, E. L. Andress explains the issue more thoroughly:

Consumer interest in storing vegetables or herbs in oil or infusing oils with these products has grown over recent decades. Vegetables and herbs stored in oil provide several conditions necessary for botulinum toxin production, including an anaerobic environment. Studies of documented outbreaks of botulism have identified vegetables and herbs in oil as the food source, with most outbreaks traced to home-prepared versions. Implicated foods include peppers, garlic, mushrooms, and eggplant. Visual or other organoleptic clues do not provide adequate information to prevent botulism. Most Cooperative Extension resources have communicated the risks and hazards of storing these foods at room temperature and suggest refrigeration, freezing, drying, and acidifying as alternatives. The safest recommendation is to freeze vegetables or herbs stored in oil. If the product is not frozen, it should be refrigerated and then either consumed within four days or discarded. Future research is required to clarify the potential of additional hurdles to preparing and storing these foods safely. Possible research areas include the use of boiling water canning, acidification, and drying followed by an acid dip.

Refrigeration is a good option but the document I've linked to below recommends no longer than three weeks. I'd give freezing a shot. You might do a small test batch, refrigerate the majority for short-term consumption and freeze the remainder then thaw (in the refrigerator) after a week or so to see how it comes out re texture.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Safety and Preservation Herbs and Vegetables in Oil

• sayhellonow
    12 years ago

If you watch Mary Ann Esposito's program on TV (Ciao Italia), you may see her instructions on preserving tomatoes and eggplants in oil, without canning them. I had a good friend many years ago who also preserved them the same way. Both my friend and MA Esposito said this has been used for eons in Italy -- way before, and after, modern canning methods were developed. Here's MA's method:

Tomatoes & Eggplant Preserved in OO
    (from Mary Ann Esposito)

1. Dehydrate some plum tomatoes, using a dehydrator or in the oven on a cake rack (omit this step for eggplant).
    2. Re-hydrate the dried tomatoes by simmering them in some red wine vinegar (begin here for the eggplant, sliced in �" pieces). Drain.
    3. In the bottom of the jar, sprinkle some salt and peppercorns.
    4. Add a layer of fresh basil.
    5. Add two or three tomatoes.
    6. Repeat until the jar is filled, then pour EVOO to completely cover.
    7. Store on the shelf or in a refrigerator.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Using something for eons doesn't mean no one ever got sick. That's a poor measure of safety.

I could also say for eons people got food poisoning without ever being certain what caused it.

However, in this case, the critical difference is that the eggplant is thoroughly acidified in red wine vinegar (which often is 6-7% acidity). That acidification reduces the risk exponentially.

Carol