Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myfamilysfarm

watermelon rind preserves

myfamilysfarm
10 years ago

Need confirmation. We have watermelon that was extra from market, still good, but I want to make some watermelon rind preserves from the NCHFP website. Do you use the outside skin, or just under the outside skin?

Hubby is chopping watermelon as I type. Need answer asap.

thank you as always

Marla

Comments (9)

• malna
    10 years ago

Peel the green rind and use the greenish-white flesh between the rind and the pink flesh.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, hubby wins. I read it like I used the outside rind. Not very precise on their instructions. We had 3 watermelons and didn't think we could eat all of them before going bad.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

So what are you doing with the flesh?

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to try watermelon jelly and jam, plus we freeze it in chunks and then pull them out this winter and not allow them to thaw completely for snacks.

We do that with cantaloupes too when it's season, but I had 50 cantaloupe and sold all but 3. 1 gave away, too ripe for me (I have a friend that likes them super ripe) and 2 turned sour.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest watermelon sorbet or granitas! Just don't compost those rinds, bag them and trash them b/c of the SWD. Our compost is going to become poorer, no fruit or tomatoes at all now going in it. After I make juice for jelly I bag and trash the pulp.

• kathy_in_washington
    10 years ago

I just dehydrated a 10-pound watermelon. Sliced 1/4 inch thick pieces, and took a day and a bit in my Excalibur Dehydrator. It's now all dried, and kinda crispy, and weighs almost nothing! ha ha. But it's good, and it was a fun project.

I'm going to make Watermelon Pickles as soon as I can find a watermelon with a thick enough rind. So many of the "newer" varieties are too thin to do a proper job. (Our local fruit market is growing some of their own, so I'm waiting for that variety.) That's something you have to look out for when you want to make W.P.: thick rind. Good luck.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

those skins/rinds don't last around here, the critters eat them. I just have to put it far enough away to discourage them from coming close to house, luckily I have plenty of land. I've never heard of NOT composting them unless diseased.

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Well, with this new fruit fly pest I'm not putting any fruit, rinds, or pulp out in the open for them to lay their eggs in - it'll just make it worse next year. Maybe if you buried it deep in the compost, but rinds take a while to break down and I'd not like to chance it.

• myfamilysfarm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They are only after the ripe fruit usually on the trees/shrubs. We haven't seen any yet, but they are supposed to be coming north. South of here is really worried about it. IL told us about them last year, but IN didn't announce anything until this year. I try to use every bit of everything I can.