Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Splenda OK in Annie's salsa?

Posted by plays_in_dirt_dirt Z7A VA bordering NC (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 7, 11 at 12:55

Is it safe to substitute Splenda for sugar in Annie's salsa ? If safe, would it adversely affect the taste or texture?

Thanks,
Barbara in Virginia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Splenda OK in Annie's salsa?

No real safety issue that I know of despite the fact that sugar has a free water binding element to it that Splenda lacks. Texture? No. But it may well affect the taste just as Splenda doesn't taste like sugar no matter what it is used in.

Personally I wouldn't sub it unless absolutely necessary and then, if possible, maybe sub only 1/2 of the sugar.

Dave

o

Thanks, Dave. I think I'll just use less sugar and do a taste test, using the full amount if necessary. The recipe says the sugar may be reduced or omitted.

Barbara in Virginia

o

I don't use the sugar at all. But I use lime juice instead of vinegar. I don't like the taste of vinegar in salsa.

o

Thanks, ajsmama ... I have bottled lime juice and bottled lemon juice in the pantry. The lime sounds good to me right now. I'm excited to make the salsa. I have tried canned homemade several times but didn't like my recipes nor those of friends. I have read so many rave reviews about Annie's recipe. I expect it to be delicious, thick and chunky the way we like it.

Barbara in Virginia

o

If you make the salsa without sugar and then find you wish it had some additional sweetness, you could stir in a bit of Splenda or other sweetener when you open the jar. That way you have total control without any concerns regarding the alterations in flavor that can occur during canning.

Carol

o

I omit the sugar and black pepper from Annie's salsa with very good results.

o

Sugar is not a preserving agent in any food other than a full sugar jam. It takes about 65% sugar in order to preserve to bind up water.
I would not think Splenda to taste good in the salsa recipe. It was too sweet to me with the sugar.

o

I only do about 1/16 of a cup of sugar and do a 1/2 cup each of lemon juice and cider vinegar. Turns out great, everyone loves it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here