Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Store Cut Up Tomatoes?

Posted by megardengirl z5 ME (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 29, 11 at 12:58

This morning I skinned, seeded and cut up several pounds of tomatoes in preparation of making tomato jam tomorrow night. Very early tomorrow morning I will cover the tomatoes with vinegar and let them sit until I make the jam tomorrow night.

My question is: What do I do with the cut up tomatoes in the mean time? They are currently in plastic storage bags sitting on my kitchen counter. Should I refrigerate them or can I leave them out? I'm afraid that the fridge will ruin the flavor of the tomatoes but at the same time, I want to make sure that they are safe to use tomorrow.

I appreciate your advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Store Cut Up Tomatoes?

Prepped food left sitting out is just an open invitation to bacterial growth. Since they are already cut up then you will have to at lest refrigerate them to retard the growth.

You can also freeze then but they will be more mushy when thawed - fine to use just more mushy.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here