Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning cherry tomatoes?

Posted by Denise-LL none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 13:01

It seems to be a pain in the butt to pull the skins off all these little suckers. Are canned cherry tomatoes worth the work? Would you separate them or mix cherry with sun sugars?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning cherry tomatoes?

Why not run them through a blender and can them as a sauce. That is what most cherry types turn into anyway when processed - mostly mush with some small chunks.

On the other hand they freeze well whole in a ziplock bag and then you can just toss a handful into many dishes.

Dave

o

Use them as any other sauce tomato.
Use them as tomato juice as I did a couple weeks ago.
As Dave said, I used the older brother of the Blendtec and liquified the skin, core, and seeds. No need to food mill, pulp, or anything else. The final product was great. The first time I used cherry tomatoes 6 or so years ago folks said they would taste terrible in the final product and they would have no taste. They said the seeds would turn out bitter after sitting in the jars. There was no bitterness when jars were later consumed and the tomato juice tasted great.
They were wrong!
Jim in So Calif

o

The problem with leaving peels on is that is where the bacteria is. Plus, the peels can roll off like bits of paper and not be appealing. I would juice them.

o

They aren't "wrong" Jim. Just different taste buds. :)

Dave

o

Thanks Dave.
Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here