Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denise_ll

Canning cherry tomatoes?

Denise-LL
11 years ago

It seems to be a pain in the butt to pull the skins off all these little suckers. Are canned cherry tomatoes worth the work? Would you separate them or mix cherry with sun sugars?

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

Use them as any other sauce tomato.
    Use them as tomato juice as I did a couple weeks ago.
    As Dave said, I used the older brother of the Blendtec and liquified the skin, core, and seeds. No need to food mill, pulp, or anything else. The final product was great. The first time I used cherry tomatoes 6 or so years ago folks said they would taste terrible in the final product and they would have no taste. They said the seeds would turn out bitter after sitting in the jars. There was no bitterness when jars were later consumed and the tomato juice tasted great.
    They were wrong!
    Jim in So Calif

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

The problem with leaving peels on is that is where the bacteria is. Plus, the peels can roll off like bits of paper and not be appealing. I would juice them.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

They aren't "wrong" Jim. Just different taste buds. :)

Dave

• James McNulty
    11 years ago

Thanks Dave.
    Jim

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    7 years ago

Jim you said you had an older cousin Of the Blendtec? said you used it to pulp or what to cherry tomatoes in this post.

what model ? what does t look like? is it like the Oster kitchen center? thank you

If anyone else know please tell. thank yall

• Donna Roesink Zone 6a Ohio
    7 years ago

When I made pasta sauce from whole tomatoes blended in a Vitamix, the sauce turned out bitter. My guess was that the skins did it. I didn't want to peel all those tomatoes that year, and thought I was saving time. Didn't turn out very well.

• defrost49
    7 years ago

I found a recipe for curried cherry tomato sauce. The flavor is similar to cocktail sauce and it uses up a lot of cherry tomatoes. I have also roasted cut in half with garlic and seasoning then frozen in snack bags which I then put into larger freezer bags.

• jeanwedding. zone 6
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

defrost49..... are the skin removed? can it be canned? Im not too keen on curry but I do use tumeric in my daiyl scrambled eggs and rice

yeah but have so much in my freezers now. with our strawerries and blueberries I froze plus buying certain meats etc ahead of time. cause have to drive over 30 to 50 miles, like Meijers and Krogers, whole foods, trader joes,etc

to get certain sausages,certain uncured turkey bacons, certain brands of fish... buy a dozen or so when we do

yeah if I didnt say before I di the whole cherry tomatoes in rosemary etc.

Hubby is still working on his cherry tomato salsa. He had blanched or whatever 100s and about got it done.

still lots of tomotes still in garden. Prob over 50 plants all but 6 were volunteers

I wanted to pick some while ago when doing some pole beans but the DANG heavy rains started......

I just hate seeing them go to waste. Hubby took some to other house and put them in freezer there

no one wants them but me....

I thought about adv on local radio free classfied for someone to come pick a small bucket or two. Give some to my feather girls everyday, even

I did give away some strawberry plants late spring

since I say Garners share...some sweet lady gave me some apples seconds and couple of those big green squashes some one gave her....I met her thru live radio classfieds.....

ah well

• defrost49
    7 years ago

jeanwedding, the curry flavor depends on how much you put in. I think the flavor is very similar to cocktail sauce. Lots of cherry tomatoes cook down to just a little. I cook it up and when it gets almost cooked down enough, I run through a food mill to get any skins and seeds. I free in the smallest plastic containers plus I probably double to triple the amount of tomatoes called for in the recipe. One of my freezer space saving tips would be to put sauce in snack bags to freeze but then put all the snack bags in a freezer bag. Kind of tricky with a sauce, though. I freeze it in small amounts because normally I'm the only one who uses it and I like it on breakfast sandwiches. But when I served it to friends as a cocktail shrimp sauce, they loved it. You can probably use an seasonings you want. And you can probably can the recipe if you like it. I can't find the recipe on the internet right now. Will have to find my hard copy.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida