Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahbee01

Habanero Gold wins again!!!

ahbee01
10 years ago

I entered Annie's salsa and the Habanero gold in my county fair. The salsa didn't win anything this time,but the Habanero gold took first place, and was chosen the Judge's Choice award! So out of everything that placed first, the Habanero Gold took top prize!!!! I'm so very excited, and this was only the second time I entered anything!!! I just wanted to thank everyone for all that you do on this site. I never would have been brave enough to can anything with out all the help from here!

Comments (8)

• pixie_lou
    10 years ago

Congratulations!

It's a clear winner in our house as well.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Good job! And congratulations. it takes nerve to even enter so you deserve a big high-five!

Dave

• ahbee01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks!

• dgkritch
    10 years ago

Congratulations! I'm making a batch today.

Deanna

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Good for you! My granddaughter won a Grand Champion ribbon last year with the Habanero Gold, I won a Reserve Grand Champion this year with the salsa.

It's fun, isn't it? Happy Canning.

Annie

This post was edited by annie1992 on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 10:36

• ahbee01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, That is awesome!! I didn't get anything for the salsa,but someone that had corn in theirs won first for salsa. Wish you could talk to the judges to know what they didn't like!!!! I said mine was mild,but maybe it was a little to warm for mild? I didn't think so! LOL!!! Now I have to try to find something else to enter to try to win the same prize I did this year,they pick something unique and really different!!! Any Ideas!!! LOL!!! It is really fun!!!!

• annie1992
    10 years ago

Well, other winners here were pickled beets, it seems that no one cans them any more. We also got a ribbon for heirloom tomatoes, I canned the Great Whites all by themselves, so they were a lovely creamy color and attracted some attention. The rest were for baked goods, my 9 year old Princess is an avid baker and her 7 year old brother is an avid taster, LOL.

Oh, and KatieC's Chipotle Catsup took a second and I love the stuff, I can't believe it didn't do better.

So, if you can get the Judge's attention and make them remember your particular product, that helps. My nephew won a couple of years back with Root Beer Jelly. Yup. Oh, and LindaLou's Zucchini Candy won that year too.

Hey, maybe RobinKate's Tomato Marmalade with white or yellow tomatoes and oranges and lemons. Or one of those recipes with pineapple and white/yellow tomatoes....

Annie

This post was edited by annie1992 on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 19:32

• ahbee01
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I will have to remember about white tomatoes!!! I will look into KatieC's Chipotle Catsup that sounds yummy! We have to move our garden we have some trouble with out tomatoes and were told they can't be planted anywhere near where we had them for at least 5 years.:( Some kind of fungus and it just wipes them out! I was told by my extension office,and the master gardeners, to go ahead and can them, the tomato it self was ok! So I sure hope they know what they are talking about!

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource