Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beckyinrichmond

canning fried apples

beckyinrichmond
15 years ago

Is it okay to can fried apples? I have an apple tree with lots of apples and I have enough applesauce. I like fried apples. Can I fry them up, put them in jars, and can them? I have a pressure canner and plenty of jars. I don't have much spare freezer space.

Comments (7)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

If fried in oil, no. No oils can be safely home canned.

• beckyinrichmond
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't use oil. I put sliced apples (with skins on) into a cast-iron frying pan and sprinkle with sugar. No water. They just cook down some. Every recipe for canning apples says to peel. But the apple peel is good for you and if it's safe from a canning standpoint, I'd like to keep the peeling on the apples.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Couldn't begin to guess how or how long they would need to be processed.

Why not just can apple slices using the approved recipe and then fry them when ready to serve?

Here is a link that might be useful: Canned Apple Slices

• melva02
    15 years ago

Isn't this just the same thing as applesauce or apple butter, but not mushed up? Becky, I would be careful that it's not too thick, but if it ends up with a consistency similar to applesauce, it might be safe. My applesauce is always too thick and I get seal failures so I have to thin it out some by mushing the apples better.

If you end up with just a pile of apple slices, then that wouldn't be enough liquid to can. You need liquid for even heat distribution. But since this is an acidic product, you are not at risk for botulism and you might be able to figure out something that works. I don't see why you couldn't can a pile of fried apples slices if you put them in light or heavy syrup.

Melissa

• beckyinrichmond
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's like applesauce, but with less water and it includes the skins. It's very thick. Since density is an issue, I think it might be better to do the boiled apple slices in hot liquid. But I'd want to keep the skin on the apples. Is apple skin a problem in canning?

• annie1992
    15 years ago

No, I don't believe apple skin is a problem safety problem in canning apples, as long as you don't mind the texture of the cooked peels. Many things (like canning rutabaga!) aren't suggested because of the quality, not because of the safety.

I'd probably go with the accepted method of canning cooked apple slices in a hot liquid, but leave the peel on, then drain and fry them quickly when you want to use them.

Annie

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Yes, the skins may separate and go to the bottom of the jar as they do if you can tomatoes but it poses no real problems except appearance.

But keep in mind that with most fruits and vegetables the skins are the main source of possible bacteria and contaminants so prepare them carefully with that in mind.

Dave