Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do with green pears?

Posted by wertach 7 SC (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 22, 11 at 13:13

I finally let my 4 year old pear tree keep the fruit this year. I had to pick the fruit, long story. The pears are kinda soft on the outside and green. Hard on the inside, not sweet.

Make preserves and add bunches of sugar? Let them sit on the counter to see if they ripen a little?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do with green pears?

I'd try doing what we do with green tomatoes that have to be picked. Try it with some of them anyway. Wrap them individually in newspaper and lay them in a cardboard box in a single layer. Put the box in a cool dark place and check them every few days. Many will ripen up more.

It works well with tomatoes without having to resort to the fake ethylene gas type ripening you get with the paper bag with several pieces of ripe fruit added.

Otherwise I'd use them to make a chutney with so all the other additives would give it more flavor.

Dave

o

Pears should be picked prior to full ripeness. If left to ripen on the tree, they are too ripe. After picking them put them in a cool, dark place or in the refrigerator for chilling for a few days. I place them in single or double layers (with newspaper between layers) in cardboard boxes, but don't need to cover them or wrap them individually. Depending on how green they are, they may need to ripen for 1-3 weeks. If the flavor still isn't great, don't give up on these pears. The fruit on many types of fruit trees doesn't reach full flavor potential when the tree is young. Give it another year or two to decide on the flavor of the pears. If these were really just too green, you might try making pear mincemeat with them. We have such a squirrel problem, that I often have to pick the tree a little bit greener than I'd like, so I know first hand that they do ripen nicely after picking. The variety of your pear also makes a big difference in flavor. One of our pears is a cooking pear, and doesn't taste very good eaten fresh, but makes good pear cake and pear pie. The other one produces pears that make wonderfully sweet juice without having to add any sugar at all. Good Luck. I never knew I liked pears so much until I started canning them.

o

We buy those green ones from the store, hard as bullets. My DW then puts them in her undies drawer, given a few days they go yellow and super ripe. Peeled and eaten just as they are.
We do have a Bartlett pear next door, and occasionally the neighbor passes some over the fence and we use the same treatment. I believe the term is 'Coddling'

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 3:26

Another view on pears - those picked from a tree, not store purchased...

Here is a link that might be useful: Oregon State Extension - pears

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here