Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michelelc_gw

Ball Peach Salsa recipe?

michelelc
12 years ago

Has anyone tried the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving Peach Salsa recipe? it's on page 215. I had a great harvest of red onions (my first year growing onions), and I love peach salsa, so I wanted to try this. There is a stand at my farmer's market that has great peaches right now, too.

I have 2 questions, about how many pounds of peaches is 6 cups. Also, the recipe suggests cutting the peaches and putting them in the vinegar, as you cut them so they don't brown, how do you know you've cut 6 cup?

Thanks,

Michele

{{gwi:106291}}

Comments (12)

• malna
    12 years ago

About 3-4 pounds. In the back of the book, there's a Produce Purchase Guide that's very handy.

I haven't made that particular recipe (I use Annie's Salsa recipe and sub peaches) but I have a big 8 cup measuring bowl. I just put my liquid in there (vinegar, lemon juice or whatever)and add the fruit. Stir occasionally if you need to coat the peaches.

Hope that helps!

• angelacan
    12 years ago

Here's my favorite peach salsa recipe that I got off this board. It is completely fabulous! It is amazing with those tortilla chips with lime on them too!

Katie's Peach Salsa

6 cups peaches -- diced (I used frozen for convenience)
    1 1/4 cups red onion -- chopped
    4 jalapeno pepper -- chopped*
    1 red pepper -- chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro -- loosely packed
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    2 tablespoons honey
    3 cloves garlic -- finely chopped
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice

Simmer all ingredients for 5-10 minutes. Pack into hot jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes (0-1000 ft.), 15 minutes (1001-6000 ft.), and 20 minutes (above 6000 ft.).

*We like it a little spicy, so I leave in some of the ribs and seeds of the jalapenos.

• michelelc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That is the exact recipe from the Ball book, except the lime juice and the garlic. There is no lime juice in the ball recipe and it only calls for 1 garlic clove. Thanks for the recommendation.

Also, thanks for the tip on the produce purchase guide in the back of the ball book, I never noticed that. It will be a huge help, I'm pretty new at all of this! The tip on putting liquid in the measure bowl first is great, duh! As you can see, newbie here :)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Yes, KatieC, who is an Extension service master food preserver, did tweak and post the peach salsa recipe recipe some time ago, prior to its publication in the Ball book. (It was originally a Bernardin canning recipe.)

For measuring you might try the water displacement method. It's more accurate for anything chunky. So let's say you want 2 cups of strawberries. You take a quart measure and pour in 2 cups of water. Then you add berries until the level reaches the 4-cup mark. Result: 2 cups of water + 2 cups of berries = 1 quart.

Carol

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

We have Bernardin in Canada which is owned by Ball. (I just checked....). I use the Bernardin recipe for peach salsa and it's identical; I make it every year without fail. They make our canning jars and other canning supplies.

• michelelc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Carol. I can't wait till Sat. so I can get my peaches at the Farmers Market!

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Yes, I know Bernardin is the Ball Canadian partner (or Ball is the US Bernardin partner, LOL). But when KatieC first posted, Bernardin books were only available in Canada unless you crossed the border to buy one or traded Ball & Bernardin books with a friend.

The Bernardin formulas only became generally available with the publication of the Ball/Bernardin Complete Book of Home Preserving.

I always thought it was stupid that Jardin corp. refused to sell the Bernardin book this side of the line or the Ball book that side of the line. As if Americans were too stupid to work with metric or Canadians couldn't use Imperial (which is ultra-silly).

Carol

• Kerry Vetter
    12 years ago

I made this recipe last night and doubled the batch because I had a ton of peaches. Though I realized this morning I did not double the honey, I put 2 T of honey vs 4 T of honey. Is the salsa still safe??

Thank you!

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Reducing the honey is fine.

Carol

• canfan
    12 years ago

I made this and it is very tasty. Family agrees. Need to do more this year. Also want to sub apricots to see if it give off a bit more "tang".

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What is your best guess as to the refrigerator shelf life of uncanned peach salsa, just setting there in a covered bowl. Half day? Few days?

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

Given the acidity I'd give it a week, maybe 2. Beyond that listeria might become a concern. But is just a guess on my part.

Dave

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting