Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tomato juice fermenting??

Posted by moonrise1212 none (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 15, 11 at 13:16

I made a very large batch of juice yesterday and put it in the fridge until today to can it. When I took it out of the fridge, it had a 1" layer of thick "curdled" foam on top and didn't smell good. Didn't smell rotten either. It tastes normal. It is on the stovetop now getting warmed up but I don't know if I should can it or throw it out. So far the "curdles" are getting smaller but collect at the top after it sits.

This is what I did to make the juice. I cooked the tomatoes and put them through my strainer. Then I put that juice through a sieve and the solids go in one pot for sauce and the juice in another. I have used this method before with the exception of letting the juice sit in the fridge overnight and it worked out fine. The juice and sauce went into different refrigerators. There is nothing wrong with the sauce, just the juice. They are in stainless steel pots.

I probably have 35 qts in this pot and will probably throw it out since it doesn't look or smell appetizing. But I would like to know if anyone has had this happen or knows what caused it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tomato juice fermenting??

OK, I can only speculate, but the first thought that occurs has to do with your stainless pot. Some of the newer stainless is a lower grade and will react with the acid somewhat similar to aluminum, especially sitting overnight.

Since the sauce was cooked down right away, if there were pathogens, the longer cooking probably took care of those. How healthy are your plants? I don't know where you live or how near the end of the season you are.

Carol

o

The SS pot is a commercial one that I have had 6 years and it was used when I got it.

The sauce wasn't cooked anymore than the juice was. It is so thick I call it sauce. But I put it in the fridge the same time the juice went in.

I am in MO and it is still a little way from the end of season. Would there have been something in the air of the fridge the juice went into? My husband said he washed it out not too long ago, but we have had corn in there. It was empty though when the juice was in it.

The plants are healthy, still producing.

Maybe I'm getting use to the smell, but the longer it's cooking the better it looks. But I just don't know about canning it. Would you?

o

Like Carol I can only guess. My money would be on a few bad tomatoes in the batch.

Personally I wouldn't waste the time and energy to can it. I'd just freeze it, check some of it for smell and taste 6 weeks from now and if bad pitch it. JMO

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here