Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonrise1212

tomato juice fermenting??

moonrise1212
12 years ago

I made a very large batch of juice yesterday and put it in the fridge until today to can it. When I took it out of the fridge, it had a 1" layer of thick "curdled" foam on top and didn't smell good. Didn't smell rotten either. It tastes normal. It is on the stovetop now getting warmed up but I don't know if I should can it or throw it out. So far the "curdles" are getting smaller but collect at the top after it sits.

This is what I did to make the juice. I cooked the tomatoes and put them through my strainer. Then I put that juice through a sieve and the solids go in one pot for sauce and the juice in another. I have used this method before with the exception of letting the juice sit in the fridge overnight and it worked out fine. The juice and sauce went into different refrigerators. There is nothing wrong with the sauce, just the juice. They are in stainless steel pots.

I probably have 35 qts in this pot and will probably throw it out since it doesn't look or smell appetizing. But I would like to know if anyone has had this happen or knows what caused it.

Comments (3)