Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thatcompostguy

Taste of Home Canning Contest

thatcompostguy
10 years ago

You think local State Fair canning contests are scary? Check out the rules for this National publication's canning contest...

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Contests/Recipe-Contests/Taste-of-Home-Canning-and-Preserving-Contest-Rules

This is the part that scares me most... "All recipes must be the original work of entrant and not previously published. Recipe must not infringe the copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights of any person or entity. All entries become the property of Taste of Home and Reader's Digest Association and will not be returned."

It closed last week, but it's still scary to think they asked for this. And I look forward to seeing what the winner recipes look like.

Comments (4)

• readinglady
    10 years ago

I emailed Penzey's once regarding a homemade canned salad dressing with eggs in it they published in their "One" magazine. I never got any kind of reply. I expect "Taste of Home" is in the same category. I'm even starting to see canning errors in "Sunset" recipes (like Fruit Fresh for tomatoes rather than citric acid) and they used to be a canning gold star.

Carol

• thatcompostguy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I actually got a reply from an entry I made into their contest where I asked about standards that they use when judging instead of an actual recipe. Never thought they'd reply...

Hi Chris,

I know you said we didnâÂÂt have to respond but when I came across your comment I wanted to send you an email.

Although we didnâÂÂt state it in the rules or requirements for the Canning and Preserving Contest, we do ph test each and every recipe that we test in our kitchen to make sure that it meets or exceeds the USDA food safety guidelines. If the tests come back even remotely close to borderline levels we donâÂÂt take any chances and eliminate the recipe.

We are in constant contact with University of Wisconsin food science department and are always checking and verifying methods, ingredients and equipment to make sure everything we say is accurate and safe. In addition, our entire test kitchen staff, as well as our food and recipe editors, go through a yearly class to keep up to date.

Food safety is of the upmost importance in all our recipes, not just canning and preserving recipes. We have a number of contacts within the USDA who we refer to throughout the year whenever we see something we question as being safe.

Thanks again for your email and concern,
    James

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    James Schend
    Food Editor
    Taste of Home Brands
    Reader's Digest Association
    5400 South 60th St.
    Greendale, WI 53129

• 2ajsmama
    10 years ago

Great! Wish Bon Appetit was as responsive - it's been over a month since I contacted them about a corn relish recipe (unclear whether it was for canning since it said "Seal" and I swear the print magazine said it would keep for a month "unopened").

• readinglady
    10 years ago

That is great to hear about Taste of Home. Kudos to them for their methods for vetting recipes and also for their thorough response.

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Carol

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus