Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Commerical Tomato Juice for Raw Pack

Posted by tannabanana 5a IA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 11 at 13:25

Hello, and thanks in advance:

Recently I came upon the idea of using commercial tomato juice instead of water to can whole tomatoes. Essentially, it would replace the water in the raw pack recipe for tomatoes packed in water (from the Ball Blue Book). I would still add citric acid to the jars but I would skip the optional added salt.

The idea seems legit to me, would cut down on my processing time because I would use it instead of my preferred taste method of tomatoes packed in own juice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Commerical Tomato Juice for Raw Pack

It won't reduce your processing time. It increases it to 85 mins. BWB and almost doubles the PC processing time too because of increased density.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Whole or Halved Tomatoes in Tomato Juice

o

You don't really need to buy juice if the tomatoes are ripe. Here's how I do it:

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Tomatoes: Why & How

o

The BWB processing time for canning whole or halved tomatoes (packed raw without added liquid) and just using the juice made by the tomatoes themselves is 85 min., not the 40-45 min. listed on the website.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - Canning tomatoes with no added liquid

o

Thanks for the info. Pickyouown.org has instructions but isn't always clear and in the case of adding tomato juice for canning liquid, it wasn't, in my opinion. Anyway, I processed for 85 minutes with the commercial tomato juice so we should be good to go!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here