Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nilajones

Freezer alarms?

NilaJones
10 years ago

Have any of you found a good one?

They all seem to have such terrible reviews on amazon. [Though one guy had a solution for the too-quiet kind that would work for me -- run the cord into the house so you can hear the alarm :). But that one has two sensors (fridge/freezer) and apparently can't be used for only one device, so it won't work for my deep freeze.]

I just got a new freezer on CList and am so excited about it! I really need the space :). But I'd hate to lose the food.

What do you use, and how do you like it?

Comments (5)

• myfamilysfarm
    10 years ago

I have a friend that sells their own meat, learn from there mistake, make sure you get an audible one versus the cheaper light only. They lost 2-3 freezers full of meat.

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Buy a wireless one Nila since apparently your freezer isn't near by. With the wireless models you can have the probes in the garage or basement in the freezer and the base with the alarm in the kitchen or where ever you want. The range is tide to how much you want to spend but the range I saw is $20-40.

Google pulls up several sources for 'wireless freezer alarm'.

I don't have any personal experience with any of them as we are in and out of our freezers at least once a day except when out of town - and I wouldn't hear it then. :)

One trick - we keep several frozen milk jugs of water in ours so if something should happen it would stretch out the cooler temps for a while longer...hopefully.

Dave

• malna
    10 years ago

I bought the Acu-Rite wireless one - actually I have two, since we have three freezers.

It works very well. The only (minor) problem I had is I can't put the bases close together, as four sets of signals confused them.

So one base is in the kitchen for the chest freezer and the fridge, and the other is in my office for the two downstairs freezers.

We use NiMH rechargeable batteries (amazon's brand) and they work fine. We haven't changed the batteries since we got the alarms, and it's been almost a year.

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, malna and Dave :).

Malna, it looks like you got a good one. Reading the reviews on Amazon, it seems like about 2/3 of the people who order that model receive an alarm that works well, and about 1/3 receive a dud. Quality control problems.

I could order one and hope I get lucky... :).

@Dave: I was trying to say that, for my application, wired or wireless will both be fine.

Good point about the jugs of water! With my new freezer, I won't have every cubic inch crammed with food anymore (yet), so I def should put water in the space -- and I would have forgotten without your reminder :).

• NilaJones
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Anybody else here have a freezer alarm they are happy with?