Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Chunky Tomato Basil sauce

booberry85
18 years ago

Here is the tomato sauce recipe. It's very good. Make sure to use a wine you like to drink. It's from the "Complete Book of Small-Batch Preserving." I've taken out one clove of garlic and added a teaspoon of crushed red pepper for zip. This was posted several weeks ago by the ReadingLady.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chunky Basil Pasta Sauce

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

8 cups (2 L) coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes -- (about 9-12 tomatoes or 4 lb/2 kg)

1 cup chopped onion -- (250 mL)

3 cloves garlic -- minced

2/3 cup red wine -- (150 mL)

1/3 cup red wine vinegar (5 % strength) -- (75 mL)

1/2 cup chopped fresh basil -- (125 mL)

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley -- (15 mL)

1 teaspoon pickling salt -- (5 mL)

1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar -- (2 mL)

1 6-oz/156 mL) can tomato paste

Combine tomatoes, onion, garlic, wine, vinegar, basil, parsley, salt, sugar and tomato paste in a very large non-reactive pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until mixture reaches desired consistency, stirring frequently.

Remove hot jars from canner and ladle sauce into jars to within 1/2 inch (1 cm) of rim (head space). Process 35 minutes for pin (500 mL) jars and 40 minutes for quart (1 L) jars in a BWB.

Yield:

"8 cups"

Note: This sauce also makes an excellent base for a quick pizza

Comments (11)

• MichelleMM
    18 years ago

Thanks BooBerry85!

• pkramer60
    17 years ago

Booberry, I made your sauce the other day and I truly do not have enough left for canning, it was that good! This is a definate keeper, both for pasta and I used it for a pizza tonight. Everyone raved about it and wants to know when I am making more.A real keeper recipe.

Peppi

• pkramer60
    17 years ago

Boo, I just saw that the recipe is from ReadingLady, Carol, so to both of you I say Thank You!

• jessyf
    17 years ago

BWB? Sa-weet! Yeah, I know, I gotta learn to use my 921 PC.

I'm not ASSuming anything: Italian or curley parsley?

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Take your pick on the parsley. Of course, considering the basil and wine, I suppose for true authenticity that tablespoon of parsley should really be Italian.

Carol

• booberry85
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Peppi, glad you liked the recipe. Wish I could say it was mine! The garden put out a lot of tomatoes this year, so I have been making sauce!

Jessy, I usually use Italian flat leaf parsley, because that's what I grow. You can also play with the flavor of the sauce by using different basils. I have one this year that I bought labeled as "large leaf basil." It has a slight anise scent which is nice.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Basil if used in large quantities in canning tomatoes seems to add an odd taste once its aged a few months in the jars. I like to add fresh or dried after its heated and is ready to serve. The small leaf Genovese type is one of the strongest tasting types. I found that the giant leaf basil has a somewhat bitter taste, and idnd't do as well when made into a pesto sauce. Because of its extra large leaf size, its also nice as a wrapper for something stuffed like meat.

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

I don't have pickling salt, I have kosher and sea.
    Can I sub either? Isn't it just cloudiness that is the issue? Which wouldn't be a problem in a tomato sauce? ??

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Here salt is just for taste, not fermentation like pickles. Sea salt or kosher salt should be just fine.

Carol

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

I think that because of the additional minerals in sea salt, it may give you an odd taste. Kisher might be ok, but usually picklinmg slat is used for most pickling, canning and fermenting, because it contains no added items like iodine, or anti-caking additives.

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I generally use pickling salt and make sure to have it around, but there have been a couple of times I've used pure sea salt with no problems.

It could be a potential problem if you were talking about a pink salt from Hawaii, something like that. But I've used a plain white sea salt I buy from an Asian store with no after-taste. After all, we're only talking about a teaspoon in the batch.

Morton's Kosher has the same additives as their table salt. Diamond Crystal Kosher doesn't, but you might find yourself using more - 1 1/2 tsp.

You could also can without any salt and just add to taste to the sauce during cooking or when serving.

Carol