Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jar size and processing time question

Posted by Tracy93 none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 12 at 13:41

My husband wants salsa. My neighbor gave me the tomatoes. Since I am inherently lazy, I bought a package of Mrs. Wages salsa mix. It says use pint jars and process 40 minutes in a water bath. I would like to make 1/2 pints as there are just the 2 of us and I'm not a big salsa eater.

Can I use the 1/2 pints and process the regular time with no adverse effects on the end product or will it over cook in the smaller jars? If it will overcook can I safely cut the process time by 10 minutes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jar size and processing time question

Yes. You can always go to smaller jars, just not bigger jars than called for. Processing time would be the same, 40 mins. as it is important that salsas be fully processed regardless of the jar size.

Dave

o
RE: Jar size and processing time question

Thank you! I also appreciate you answering my question so quickly. I can get this done today!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here