Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiahomegarden

Corn Harvest - Peaches and Cream

georgiahomegarden
12 years ago

I am excited to show my peaches and cream corn harvest. I blanched and froze 33 ears this morning. Enjoy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to corn harvest

Comments (8)

• travisdunn
    12 years ago

Very nice

• georgiahomegarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, appreciate it.

• macybaby
    12 years ago

The "enjoy" part comes when you open up a pack this winter - looking very good!

• georgiahomegarden
    Original Author
    12 years ago

macybaby - That is one of the best parts about gardening for me too. To open your freezer and pull out something that you know will taste better than anything you can buy in the store. Starting a garden has absolutely ruined me on buying veggies in the store.

My wife gets mad because every time we walk by the vegetable aisle, I will say "Don't our veggies look so much better than these." I guess I never get tired of saying it and she is tired of hearing it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog

• cziga
    11 years ago

Those look great!! I have been wanting to freeze corn for the winter. I don't have enough space in our small-ish garden to grow corn myself (I wish I did!) but I picked up a dozen at the farmers market that look great.

I want to cut the kernels off and freeze them.
    I just wanted to ask, is there a reason to blanch them first, before freezing? Is it a safety issue, or just a choice? I wasn't going to blanch mine, just cut off the kernels and freeze. Is there a reason to blanch first?

• cziga
    11 years ago

Ah, I actually found the answer in a couple very old threads, lol. Apparently blanching is a must. Just FYI.

Here is a link that might be useful: Why you blanch vegetables before freezing

• malna
    11 years ago

I think (and this is just my opinion) the recommended blanching times are way too long. For instance, corn on the cob - if I'm cooking it fresh to eat right away, I don't boil or steam it for 7-11 minutes. It's mush.

So what we do is grill the corn on the cob. First, trim the ends, leave some husk on, wrap in foil and soak in salted water for an hour or two. Then grill it until it's about 1/2 way done (you just start to smell the corn cooking). Cool and freeze. Then when you heat it back up, it cooks the rest of the way and it tastes like fresh picked.

We blanch green beans and broccoli for about 30 to 45 seconds - just until they turn bright green. Into the ice bath, dry and freeze. Still less texture than I like, but loads better than if I boiled or steamed them for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes.

I've never noticed any degradation in the quality of the frozen vegetables we've put up. They are just as good when we take them out as they were when we put them in.

• cziga
    11 years ago

Yes, that's what I noticed reading about it ... most people seem to use and recommend much shorter blanching times than the 7-11 min. I won't be able to grill the corn first (although that sounds like a great idea for those who bbq often) but I thought of blanching the cobbs for about 2-3 minutes only, then cutting off the kernels and freezing.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler