Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
citric acid?

Posted by karijo73 none (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 13:44

Hi all! Im a newbie, so i am gonna have a lot of newbie questions. so, i want to can some salsa. i have seen Annies recipe and it looks good. but, i hate the taste of vinegar in my salsa. can i use citric acid instead?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: citric acid?

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 14:08

Doing a chemical conversion between liquid acetic acid (vinegar) and powdered citric acid is complex and easy to get wrong.

The easiest thing to do is, instead of vinegar, use lemon juice and/or lime juice, both of which are more acidic than vinegar. Many do anyway - I personally use 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 1/4 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup lime juice. You can use any proportions you like, as long as you use one cup (in total).

Hope that helps.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 10, 14 at 14:42

Agree with malna. No safe way to covert from vinegar to citric acid without testing other than to say you would have to more than double the recommended amount since it is much more low-acid than just plain tomatoes. But how much more and how it would taste is unknown.

I have made it using 1/2 c bottled lemon juice and 1/2 cup bottle lime juice, all lime juice, and also using the 1/2,1/4,1/4 mix malna described. All are good. You can also sub cider vinegar for white for a more mellow taste.

Dave

PS: and welcome to the forum! :)

o

ok. thanks guys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here