Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Canning tomatoes

Posted by ChicknLittle 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 13:47

In the past week I have canned several quarts of Tomatoes and juice using the salt and lemon juice as directed. I went by memory (should have known better) on the time and underprocessed them in a hot pack boiling water bath. They all sealed. I was wondering if I can leave the lids as is and reprocess for the correct time in a pressure canner?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Canning tomatoes

Re-processing requires re-heating the contents, refilling clean jars and using new lids. Per the guidelines, it also is supposed to be done within 24 hours to avoid bacterial contamination. So it is too late now based on your info. Yours have set, under-processed, for several days with air still trapped in the jars.

It's your choice to abide by the guidelines or not. I'd freeze them and cook well before consuming.

Dave

o

Thank you Dave, that is what I was afraid of, but what I needed to hear. You can bet it wont happen again (this year :)

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 15:30

My memory for details is pretty reliable, but life gets in the way and when I'm busy, often multi-tasking, I don't trust myself for much of anything these days...

For canning, I keep note cards right in my canner...basic method/timing, how many pounds of tomatoes, tuna, whatever I processed the previous year for how much yield. Only problem with that is the canners are stored in the basement, and if at times other than canning and someone may ask me a question, the notes are not quite so convenient. As when my brother in law called and said, we've been out of tuna for two months, how much did 'we' can last year...:)

o

Note cards in the canner is a great idea, think I will try that! It will work great for my sketchy memory, the only other person that I know cans has been doing it longer and better than me for years and wouldn't ask me any important questions. Thank you for the great tip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here